STUDENT EMPLOYEE JOB DESCRIPTION
(Off-Campus/College Work Study Program)
CITY OF PORTLAND
Equal Opportunity Employer
Work Study Positions are open and available only for students with college Work Study grants approved by a college Financial Aid Office.
Federal Work Study is required
Job Title: Portland Watersheds Health Monitoring and Data Management Assistant
Agency: Bureau of Environmental Services, Science Division, Watershed Services
Contact Person: Kaitlin Lovell, Science Integration Division Manager
Address: 1120 SW 5th Ave., Room 1000 Portland, Oregon 97204
Pay: $12.00 per hour
Description of Duties:
- Assist with restoration project effectiveness monitoring
- Collect field data for watershed health monitoring including:
In-stream habitat features
Cross-sectional stream surveys
Presence of amphibian egg-masses
High-flow stream monitoring
- Photo-monitoring of completed restoration projects
- Data entry, organization, and presentation:
Use Excel, and Word to enter data collected in the field (Access and ArcMap experience would be helpful but not essential)
Use Excel to create graphs to present data
- Organize electronic and printed files and literature
- Applicants are required to be actively enrolled in college and have Federal Work-Study Aid awarded to them
- Ability and willingness to navigate rough terrain and work outdoors, which sometimes may be in inclement weather
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Interest or studies in watershed restoration or environmental health.
- Experience with data entry and basic computer skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to work independently
- Good organization skills
- Flexible work hours: Between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, depending on school schedule
- Expected to work an average of up to 20 hours per week, assuming fewer hours when school is in session and more during breaks
# Of Positions: 1-2