STUDENT EMPLOYEE JOB DESCRIPTION
(Off-Campus/College Work Study Program)
CITY OF PORTLAND
Equal Opportunity Employer
Work Study Positions are open and available only for students with college Work Study grants approved by a college Financial Aid Office.
Job Title: Recreation Support- Instructor
Agency: Portland Parks & Recreation
Contact Person: Aly’ce Brannon-Reid Phone: (503) 916-5694
Address: 2231 N Flint St.
Description of Duties:
Instructs and/or monitors classes/ activities in recreation & leisure services in area of assignment. May develop lesson plans related to area of assignment based upon overall program objectives & guidelines. Prepares materials for instruction of classes/ activities; monitors participation & evaluates classes/ activities.
1. Demonstrate knowledge of principles, practices, & rules related to assigned area of instruction and/or monitoring
2. Ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups of people
3 Ability to prepare & [present lessons/activities for programs & classes
4 Ability to recognize & respond to safety & emergency situations
5. Must be competent & knowledgeable in program/activity area
6. Must be comfortable handling conflicts & responding to problems & customer service concerns
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Collaborate with professional recreation staff to plan & schedule classes/activities
2. Instruct and/or monitor classes/ activities.
3. Communicate with staff regarding supplies, space & other needs
4. Develop a rapport with participants & respond to questions & concerns
5. Observe progress & discuss with participants when appropriate
6. Set up & take down class/activity organization at all times to ensure face & effective classes
7. Follow all park parks & recreation rules, policies, & procedures
8. Maintain excellent communication with all staff & customers through verbal & written means
9. Open and/or close & secure classroom or building
10. Assist customers with registration forms, including scholarship applications
11. Maintain enrollment lists; create and maintain customer’s computer records if assigned
12. Print/post activity notices, schedules, marketing flyers, & posters
13. Take and respond to phone and email messages, record cash collection & perform other clerical tasks
14. Follow all Portland Parks & Recreation rules, policies, & procedures.
15. Wear Portland Parks & Recreation name badge or staff clothing while on duty.
16. Attend all mandatory staff meetings & required trainings
17. Recognize & promptly respond
Flexible days Monday- Thursday, hours are 2:00- 6:00 P.M.; 16 hours per week.
Positions Available: 5
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation, please make your request to the contact listed in this announcement.