Consultant team’s Draft Recommendations for the Design Overlay Zone Assessment Project (DOZA) featured at upcoming open house.
The design overlay zone is intended to achieve high-quality design for new buildings within areas of growth and areas with special architectural, cultural or scenic value. Through the Design Overlay Zones Assessment (DOZA) the City is working to improve the design overlay system for all stakeholders and to accomplish the design goals outlined in the 2035 Comprehensive Plan.
As the Design Overlay Zone Assessment (DOZA) enters the recommendations phase, the project consultant team has prepared Draft Recommendations for review. These recommendations offer detailed improvements to the processes and tools associated with the design overlay (d-overlay). They also provide guidance on which of these should be prioritized for short-term implementation.
The Draft Recommendations are organized into the following categories:
- Process – Including adjustment of thresholds and improvements to design review and public notification
- Tools: General – Overarching goals for all design overlay review criteria
- Tools: Community Design Standards – Recommendations for the clear and objective criteria found in the Zoning Code
- Tools: Community Design Guidelines – Recommendations for the set of discretionary guidelines that are applicable outside the Central City
- Tools: Central City Fundamental Design Guidelines – Recommendations for the set of discretionary guidelines applicable within the Central City and its subdistricts
During the next few weeks, the public, staff as well as the Planning and Sustainability and Design Commissions will have an opportunity to weigh in on the Draft Recommendations.
Read the Draft Recommendations
Interested in learning more? Come to the open house!
Project staff and consultants will be on hand to share information about the new recommendations, answer your questions and listen to feedback at an open house in early February.
DOZA Open House
Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 5:30 – 8:00 p.m.
1900 SW 4th Avenue, Room 2500 A/B
Additional resources and information
The Draft Recommendations are a result of staff and consultant research, examination of peer cities, interviews with key stakeholders, a questionnaire, and the evaluation of several recently built projects within and outside of Portland’s d-overlay zone.
DOZA Research Report (Design Overlay 101)