More than 30 people testified at a June 12 public hearing; written testimony on proposals to improve the design and livability of multi-dwelling housing accepted until 5 p.m., Monday, June 25.
The Better Housing by Design project is updating the rules that govern new development of Portland’s multi-family housing, such as apartment buildings, fourplexes and courtyard housing. The goal is to encourage better design and livability of these higher density housing types.
On June 12, the Planning and Sustainability Commission (PSC) held a public hearing on proposed changes to the multi-dwelling zoning code. At the hearing, 32 community members testified on the proposals. The PSC has also received more than 150 pieces of written testimony to date.
Most of the testimony has been about development density and parking. You can view public testimony on the BHD Proposed Draft via the Testimony Reader.
The PSC welcomes written testimony until Monday, June 25.
Submit written testimony to the PSC by 5 p.m. Monday, June 25 via:
Map App: Click the “Testify” button
U.S. Mail (letters must be received by June 25):
Portland Planning and Sustainability Commission
Better Housing Testimony
1900 SW 4th Ave, Suite 7100
Portland, OR 97201
Next Steps: Work Sessions
The PSC will conduct work sessions on the proposals in August and September (specific dates to be determined). At these meetings, there will be no public testimony, as Commissioners will pose questions to staff and each other, then deliberate on the issues before making a recommendation to City Council.
All PSC hearings and meetings are streamed live on the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability YouTube channel (click “Video” on the top of the home page for past meetings).
To view past PSC meetings on the Better Housing by Design Proposed Draft:
Links to the Better Housing by Design Proposed Draft documents:
- Proposed Draft Summary, 8-page summary of the major proposals
- Volume 1: Staff Report, Summary and analysis of the draft Multi-Dwelling Zoning Code and Map amendments
- Volume 2: Zoning Code Amendments, Draft Multi-Dwelling Zoning Code and Comprehensive Plan text and commentary
- Volume 3: Additional Zoning Amendments, Additional code amendments updating other zoning code chapters, providing consistency with the core amendments in Volume 2
- Proposed Draft Summary – Español [Mejor vivienda por diseño - Resumen preliminar propuesto]
You can find all the Proposed Draft material online at: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/76925
For more information about the Proposed Draft ...
- Visit the project website: www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/betterhousing
- Helpline: Call 503-823-0195. Interpretation services available.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bureau of Planning and Sustainability is committed to providing meaningful access. For accommodations, modifications, translation, interpretation or other services, please call 503-823-7700 or use City TTY 503-823-6868, or Oregon Relay Service 711. 503-823-7700.