About the Community Involvement Committee
Chapter 2 of Portland’s new Comprehensive Plan calls for the creation of a volunteer body to oversee the City’s community involvement efforts for land use and transportation planning projects.
What does the CIC do? What does it not do?
- The CIC will review and advise City staff on their engagement with the public in land use and transportation planning projects and programs.
- The CIC does not review content of planning projects; it focuses on the community involvement process.
- The CIC will work with planning staff throughout the City to ensure that projects have strong community involvement practices.
- The CIC will maintain and update the Community Engagement Manual.
Community Engagement Manual
The Community Engagement Manual will guide City staff when implementing the goals and policies established in Chapter 2 of the Comprehensive Plan. The manual establishes the baseline expectations for all relevant projects. It also supplies a framework for staff, community members, the CIC and others to use when designing and evaluating projects to help keep community involvement work on track.
Application and Selection Process
This new standing committee will become effective in 2018. The application and selection process will take place Fall 2017 and Winter 2018.
Guided by the policies of Chapter 2 of the new Comprehensive Plan, the CIC will advise staff on the design, implementation and evaluation of community involvement in land use and transportation planning projects and ongoing community involvement activities.
The role of this committee is shaped by Oregon Statewide Planning Goal 1, and Policy 2.19 of the 2035 Comprehensive Plan.
- Oregon Statewide Planning Goal 1 requires that “(T)he committee for citizen involvement shall be responsible for assisting the governing body with the development of a program that promotes and enhances citizen involvement in land-use planning, assisting in the implementation of the citizen involvement program, and evaluating the process being used for citizen involvement.”
- Policy 2.19 of the 2035 Comprehensive Plan states that “(T)he Community Involvement Committee (CIC), an independent advisory body, will evaluate and provide feedback to City staff on community involvement processes for individual planning and investment projects, before, during, and at the conclusion of these processes.”
Things you might want to know about the CIC
This document guides City staff in implementing the goals and policies established in Chapter 2 of the 2035 Comprehensive Plan