Not the type to geek out over maps? Just try the new Map App Explorer! It combines the land use, transportation and infrastructure designs as featured in the Comprehensive Plan Update with updated data layers from the Proposed Draft Map App.
Users can create myriad combinations of layers to look at data:
- Centers and corridors with demographic information, to see who is served by the concentration of services in Portland’s densest areas.
- Proposed stormwater projects with natural hazards, such as flood and earthquake risk, to look at the strategic location of infrastructure.
- Transportation projects with median age, to see the diversity of ages served by candidate projects.
- And more!
Map App Explorer is designed to help users better understand the context for and relationship between the proposals in the Comprehensive Plan Update. Explorer allows you to make comparisons between different land use, transportation and infrastructure proposals with additional background data layers. For example, how does Portland’s plan for developing along centers and corridors (the red lines and circles on the map at right) relate to people’s ability to easily access transit (the blue areas)?
Desktop, phone or tablet?
Both Map App Explorer and the Proposed Draft Map App can be operated on all devices, from desktop to mobile. Though it’s a cool tool for analyzing the context and relationships between planning proposals, Explorer is not as detailed as the Proposed Draft Map App, and it does not accept user comments.
Please continue to submit comments for consideration by the Planning and Sustainability Commission through the Proposed Draft Map App. You can navigate between the two versions of the Map App by clicking on the dots at the top left of your screen. (To comment on the Proposed Draft Map App, click on the INFO icon at the bottom left of your screen.)
What’s the difference, again?
- Proposed Draft Map App = Actual land use proposal + infrastructure projects (comments welcome)
- Map App Explorer = Proposed Draft Map App + supporting data layers
So geek out with the new Map App Explorer, and then let us know what you think about the Comprehensive Plan Update through the Proposed Draft Map App! Comments are welcome until March 13, 2015.