BPS staff have released the Accessory Structures Zoning Code Update Proposed Draft in preparation for the upcoming Planning and Sustainability Commission (PSC) public hearing on September 22,2015.
The Accessory Structures Zoning Code Update is revising the City's Zoning Code regulations, focusing on detached accessory structures associated with residential development. This includes structures such as garages, storage sheds, home offices, greenhouses and accessory dwelling units (ADUs) as well as decks, trellises and mechanical equipment.
The project aims to streamline the regulations by emphasizing form (setbacks, height and bulk) over function (how the accessory structure is used) while continuing to address impacts on neighboring properties. Specifically, the proposed amendments:
- Expand the exemption that allows small one-story garages in side and rear setbacks to other detached accessory structures.
- Set a uniform building height maximum of 20 feet for all detached accessory structures.
- Require all detached covered accessory structures more than 15 feet high to meet revised compatibility standards for exterior finish materials, roof pitch, trim, windows and eaves.
- Provide additional flexibility for mechanical equipment installations related to single-dwelling development.
- Reformat regulations to improve clarity.
The Proposed Draft updates the public Discussion Draft, which was released in June. The Proposed Draft includes staff consideration of the comments received during the outreach period. The Proposed Draft is the staff recommendation for PSC consideration and recommendation at their hearing. The public is invited to attend and/or submit testimony on the proposal.
PSC Hearing Details
Portland Planning and Sustainability Commission - Public Hearing
Tuesday September 22, 2015, 5p.m. **
1900 SW 4th Avenue, 2nd Floor, Room 2500A
** Please check the PSC calendar approximately one week before the hearing for a more specific time and additional details.
View the PSC agenda: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/psc
View the Proposed Draft: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/542283
Detailed instructions for submitting testimony: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/383906