Read more details about the 2030 Objectives>
Sustainable City Principles
The City seeks to be a model of sustainable operations — as an example for all Portland residents and businesses. The City adheres to a set of Sustainable City Principles that guide daily management, operations and employee action.To promote a healthy, prosperous and equitable City, Portland elected officials and staff will:
- Make decisions and take actions that balance environmental quality, economic prosperity and social equity.
- Think beyond first costs and consider long-term, cumulative impacts when making policy and financial decisions.
- Purchase renewable energy and make efficient use of electricity, natural gas, oil, propane, transportation fuels and water.
- Protect habitat and functioning ecosystems that provide critical services to the urban environment.
- Minimize the release of toxins, carbon emissions and other pollutants when purchasing and using products.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle and compost.
- Encourage innovation and cross-bureau collaboration.
- Engage Portland residents, businesses and City green teams to promote sustainable practices.
- Recruit, hire and retain a diverse workforce and ensure equitable services to communities of color and other underserved communities.
- Measure and report progress.