Last month, the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability released a Proposed Draft for the Mixed Use Zones (MUZ) Project.
These zoning changes for mixed use and commercial areas will make it easier to develop more vibrant places, increase housing choices, enable businesses to thrive, and help meet the daily needs of nearby residents. The MUZ project will make the commerical/mixed use zoning code easier to understand, ensure new mixed use/commercial buildings fit in better with surrounding neighborhoods, and more effectively encourage new development to include things the community values, like affordable housing.
The project proposes four new commercial zones with varying scales:
- CM1: 35 feet (three stories)
- CM2: 45 – 55 feet (four to five stories)
- CM3: 65 – 75 feet (six to seven stories)
- CE: 45 feet (four stories)
These four new zones would:
- Provide incentives for public benefits (affordable housing and affordable commercial space) through bonuses that earn additional floor area.
- Ensure active ground floor uses, such as retail, in the core commercial areas of centers.
- Reduce building mass by articulating large façades and limiting building length.
- Improve transitions to neighboring residential areas through a height “step down.”
- Address commercial-residential conflicts through landscaping and setbacks.
- Require neighborhood notification of most new development.
Read the Mixed Use Zones Proposed Draft; then testify to the Planning and Sustainability Commission.
Planning and Sustainability Commission Public Hearing
Mixed Use Zone Proposed Draft
Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 12:30 p.m.
1900 SW 4th Avenue, Room 2500A
The PSC also invites testimony on this proposal through May 10, 2016, in writing:
- Via the Map App: Testify on specific proposals by location through the Map App.
- By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- By U.S. Mail:
Planning and Sustainability Commission
City of Portland Bureau of Planning and Sustainability
1900 SW 4th Ave, Suite 7100, Portland, OR 97201
Attn: Mixed Use Zones testimony
Review the Mixed Use Zones FAQs to see if we’ve already answered your questions. If not, please call the Comprehensive Plan Update Helpline at 503-823-0195. We’re here to help!