Starting next week, the Portland City Council will conduct three introductory work sessions to learn about the different components of the Comprehensive Plan Update Early Implementation Package, in preparation for public hearings on October 6 and 13 (both at 2 p.m. in City Council Chambers).
Council invites testimony on the Planning and Sustainability Commission recommendations, including:
- Zoning Code changes
- Zoning Map changes
- A new Community Involvement Program
- Transportation System Plan - Stage 2
Following the hearings, Council will hold two more work sessions in late October and November to discuss testimony and possible amendments, before voting to adopt the Early Implementation Package.
What is Early Implementation?
The Comprehensive Plan Update Early Implementation projects update the City’s Zoning Map and Code to carry out the 2035 Comprehensive Plan goals, policies and map designations that were adopted by City Council in June. All of the Early Implementation projects (including Mixed Use Zones, Employment Land, Campus Institutions, Residential and Open Space and more) are now combined into a new Recommended Zoning Map and Zoning Code (see links in bulleted list above).
How can I learn more?
In addition to the links above:
- Owners of property affected by the recommended changes are receiving official notices of the proposal for their property.
- View the Recommended Zoning Map Changes on the Map App. Printable pdfs of district and other maps are also viewable online.
- Call the Comprehensive Plan helpline at 503-823-0195 or send an email to email@example.com.
- Attend a drop-in hours event and talk to planning staff one-on-one. There will be no formal presentation, and staff cannot accept testimony.
- Attend or watch recordings of Council briefings, when staff will present and answer questions about the proposed changes.
Council Work Sessions
The following are tentative dates for work sessions this fall. All meetings will be held in Council Chambers at City Hall, 1221 SW 4th Avenue. Check the Council website for the most current schedule.
- Tuesday, September 13, 9:30–10:30 a.m.
- Thursday, September 15, 2–4 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 20, 9:30–10:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, October 25, 9 a.m. –12 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 22, 9 a.m. –1:30 p.m.
How can I provide testimony?
Portlanders can testify on any element of the Early Implementation Package to City Council through the Map App, by email or letter, or in person at a public hearing. Check the Auditor’s website to learn how to provide testimony to City Council.
City Council hearings on the Recommended Draft Zoning Map and Zoning Code changes are scheduled for October 6 and October 13, 2016, at 2 p.m. Check the City Council calendar to confirm dates, times and location of hearings.