The Better Housing by Design project will develop Zoning Code regulations and other regulatory tools to help implement the goals and policies of Portland’s new Comprehensive Plan. Comprehensive Plan policies related to development and design in the multi-dwelling residential zones include the following major directions:
- Accommodate housing growth, especially in and around centers, corridors and transit station areas.
- Develop a variety of housing types that meet the needs of all Portlanders, including an adequate supply of affordable housing and physically accessible housing.
- Provide healthy and safe environments for residents with building design that supports active living.
- Design buildings to enhance the pedestrian environment on streets.
- Help provide a network of safe and accessible street and pedestrian connections, especially around centers and transit stations.
- Incorporate design that responds to and enhances neighborhood context and character, including the Inner, Eastern and Western neighborhoods.
- Integrate nature and green infrastructure into the urban environment, avoid environmental impacts, and reduce impervious surfaces and urban heat island effects.
- Use resource-efficient design and development approaches.