Community Collection Events offer neighborhood, community and nonprofit organizations funds for proper disposal of bulky household waste that may otherwise be disposed of inappropriately. The events prioritize recycling and reuse over disposal.
Community Collection Events are a partnership between Neighborhood Coalitions, the City of Portland, and Metro in order to invest in and build community capacity, including advancing equity, waste reduction and reuse. The events aim to serve a wide range of Portland residents, including seniors and people with disabilities.
For a reasonable charge or donation, neighbors can dispose of items cluttering up their garages and basements. These events do not accept household hazardous waste, construction demolition and remodeling debris and asbestos-containing materials (ACM).
The Community Collection Events Guide is for event coordinators and volunteers who are planning and organizing a Community Collection Event. The event may offer a combination of the following:
- Collection of bulky waste and hard-to-recycle items;
- An onsite reuse section; and
- A litter pickup activity using our Keep It Pretty Rose City Toolkit.
The seven Neighborhood Coalitions have listings of the scheduled Community Collection Events organized by neighborhood association or community partners.
- Central Northeast Neighbors (CNN)
- East Portland Neighborhood Office (EPNO)
- Neighbors West/Northwest (NW/NW)
- North Portland Neighborhood Services (NPNS)
- Northeast Coalition of Neighborhoods (NECN)
- Southeast Uplift Neighborhood Coalition (SEUL)
- Southwest Neighborhoods, Inc. (SWNI)
Find contact information for your neighborhood association from the Office of Neighborhood Involvement or call 503-823-4519.
Call the Curbside Hotline at 503-823-7202 for possible event dates, locations, costs and accepted materials.
Visit the Metro Recycling Information Center online or call 503-234-3000 to learn how to dispose of items not accepted at the curb.