The 2035 Comprehensive Plan process included major changes to both the Comprehensive Plan Map and the Zoning Map. Near the end of the Comprehensive Plan Update process, City Council directed the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability (BPS) to evaluate the adopted 2035 Comprehensive Plan against a short list of potential map changes. As directed by Council in Exhibit O – Further Refinement Directive, BPS is now assessing the Comprehensive Plan designation and zoning from a list of sites and will bring recommendations back to Council for further consideration.
The Map Refinement Project began in early 2017 and is expected to be completed and adopted by Portland City Council in early 2018. This coincides with the early 2018 effective date of the 2035 Comprehensive Plan. Major project steps include:
Early Project Development (Winter-Spring 2017)
- Complete project scope and develop community engagement strategy.
- Review potential map changes on specific sites.
- Develop preliminary approach to map refinement and site analysis.
- Start talking with stakeholders and interested parties.
Discussion Draft (Summer 2017)
- Complete draft map and release it for public review.
- Meet with community and interest groups to share Discussion Draft and gather input.
- Revise draft as appropriate based on feedback to finalize the Proposed Draft.
Proposed Draft (Fall 2017)
- Release Proposed Draft to the Planning and Sustainability Commission (PSC) and general public.
- PSC review and public hearing (October – November 2017)
- Commissioners direct staff to revise the draft.
- PSC votes to forward the Recommended Draft to City Council.
Recommended Draft (Winter to Spring 2018)
- Release Recommended Draft to City Council for consideration.
- City Council review and public hearing (March 2018)
- Adoption: Effective date in 2018
The Map Refinement Project will include a review of potential map changes on sites that fall into these categories:
- Sites listed in Exhibit O – Further Refinement Directive.
- Reconciliation of quasi-judicial map changes, as appropriate, reviewed by the Bureau of Development Services between December 2016 and January 2018.
- Reconciliation of nonconforming development, as appropriate, constructed between December 2016 and January 2018.
- Technical map changes as appropriate (e.g., affordable housing, split zones and nonconforming commercial) based on narrowly defined criteria that will be described in the Discussion Draft.