Before you begin packing, set aside any items you no longer want. This guide will help you make the best plan for the things you no longer need.
One of the biggest challenges may be locating — and disposing of — packing boxes:
- Use your bags, suitcases or other empty containers to save resources and space.
- If you start looking for packing boxes before you need them, you can find used boxes online at Craigslist, Freecycle and Nextdoor.
- Some movers will provide boxes (or rent them) at a reasonable price and buy back gently used ones at a reduced rate.
- And when you’re done, list boxes online if they’re still usable; break them down and bundle them together for recycling collection if they’re not.
Find new homes for what you no longer need:
You can swap, sell or donate unwanted items instead of trashing them. Get started with these ideas:
- Have a garage sale or community swap. Talk with your property manager to see if you can hold a garage sale (even if you don’t have a garage) or post items for sale on community bulletin boards.
- Post your items online: Craigslist: craigslist.org | Freecycle: freecycle.org | Nextdoor: nextdoor.com
No illegal dumping:
Don’t leave your bulky items and unwanted furniture on the property — talk with your property manager about options to dispose of the table with the broken leg or beat-up couch. Stuffing a mattress in the dumpster could result in losing all or part of your security deposit!
- Portland Multifamily Waste Reduction | 503-823-5054 | email@example.com
- Ask Metro | 503-234-3000 | www.oregonmetro.gov
- Download this guide as a PDF