City Council heard a large amount of testimony during the hearings on the Concept Report. Reflecting community input, the Council approved and amended the concepts as follows:
- Reduce the maximum size of new houses and remodels in single-dwelling zones.
- Establish an overlay zone in single-dwelling zones that will allow more housing types (i.e. houses with two ADUs, duplexes, duplexes with a detached ADU, and triplexes on corner lots).
- Explore overlay zone boundary options near designated neighborhood centers and corridors with good transit service; consider property lines, physical barriers, natural features, topography and infrastructure constraints.
- Provide added flexibility for internal conversions of existing houses citywide.
- Increase flexibility for cottage clusters on large lots citywide.
- Explore incentives for age-friendliness, affordability and tree preservation.
- Restrict historically narrow lots from being developed in the R5 zone.
- Revise the development standards for houses on R2.5-zoned narrow lots.