The Better Housing by Design project is updating the rules that guide how new apartments and other larger residential buildings are built. These medium- to high-density residential zones provide opportunities for new housing to better meet the needs of a growing Portland.
The proposed new rules will create more housing choices for households of all ages, incomes and sizes. They will also ensure that new buildings are healthier, more livable and better connected to streets, shops, parks, schools and other amenities.
Major topics addressed by the project include:
- Greater housing options and affordability to meet more housing needs.
- Outdoor spaces and green elements for children to play, gardening and outdoor gatherings.
- Building design that helps create pedestrian-friendly streets and respects neighborhood character.
- East Portland design standards and street connections that respond to the area’s distinct needs.
Review the Better Housing by Design Proposed Draft:
- Proposed Draft Summary
- Volume 1: Staff Report
- Volume 2: Zoning Code Amendments
- Proposed Multi-Dwelling Zones Map
- Proposed Comprehensive Plan Map
Additional Proposed Draft documents will be available by June 2nd, including:
- Volume 3: Additional Zoning Code Amendments (minor code amendments that provide consistency among zoning code chapters, eliminate redundant regulations, and update references to the multi-dwelling zones)
- Appendix G: Better Housing by Design – Displacement Risk Analysis
- Appendix H: Connected Centers Street Plan
Via the Map App …
The Map App is new and improved! In addition to viewing proposed map changes for individual properties, community members (property owners and renters) can now testify directly to the Planning and Sustainability Commission via the Map App. It’s as easy as sending an email. And once you press “submit,” you can see your testimony in the Testimony Reader in real time. You can also read other people’s testimony.
You can testify directly to the Planning and Sustainability Commission at a public hearing:
Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 5 p.m.
PCC Southeast Campus, Community Hall Annex
2305 SE 82nd Ave Portland, Oregon
Or send a letter by June 25, 2018, to …
Portland Planning and Sustainability Commission
Better Housing by Design
1900 SW 4th, Suite 7100
Portland, Oregon 97201.
We’re ready for your questions. Call 503-823-0195. Interpretation services available.
After the PSC hears public testimony and the “record is closed” (no more testimony – written or oral – is accepted), the PSC will hold a work session to discuss the testimony and develop any amendments they want to make to the proposals before they vote on their recommendations to the City Council. Council is expected to hold public hearings on the PSC’s Recommended Draft this summer.