The Better Housing by Design Proposed Draft has been available for public review since May 11. It includes new rules to guide how new apartments and other larger residential buildings are built.
Major topics addressed by the project include:
- Greater housing options and affordability to meet more housing needs.
- Outdoor spaces and green elements for children to play, gardening and outdoor gatherings.
- Building design that helps create pedestrian-friendly streets and respects neighborhood character.
- East Portland design standards and street connections that respond to the area’s distinct.
Now the Planning and Sustainability Commission (PSC) will hold a public hearing on the Proposed Draft. This is your chance to tell the Commission what you like and think could be improved about the proposed zoning changes for higher density housing development.
How to testify on the Better Housing by Design proposals at the public hearing
On Tuesday, June 12, starting at 5 p.m., the PSC will hear testimony from community members about the Better Housing by Design Proposed Draft. The Commission is committed to effective public involvement and is looking forward to hearing from you. Here’s everything you need to know about how to testify in person at the hearing:
- Commissioners will hear testimony on June 12 starting at 5 p.m.
- The hearing will be at Portland Community College Southeast Campus, Community Hall Annex (located at the western end of the campus along SE Division), 2305 SE 82nd Avenue. Look for the signs we’ll have put up to help guide you. See map at left for details (building COMX).
- Project staff will be on hand starting at 4 p.m. to help people sign up to testify.
One spot in line = One two-minute testimony slot
- Signing up for someone else – If you are signing up for someone else, you’ll need to get in line again for each person.
- Groups – If several people represent a group and want to testify together, they all need to be there to sign up for their two-minute slot at the same time. Each person in the group will need to wait in line to sign up individually for their two-minute slot.
- People representing multiple groups – While the Commission encourages individuals to only represent one group, if a person is representing more than one group, they need to stand in line for each testimony slot. They may not sign up for several slots at once.
Written testimony may be submitted through the Map App by June 25 at 5 p.m. Letters can be sent to:
Portland Planning and Sustainability Commission
Better Housing Testimony
1900 SW 4th Ave, Suite 7100
Portland, OR 97201
Better Housing by Design Proposed Draft documents:
- Proposed Draft Summary, 8-page summary of the major proposals
- Volume 1: Staff Report, Summary and analysis of the draft Multi-Dwelling Zoning Code and Map amendments
- Volume 2: Zoning Code Amendments, Draft Multi-Dwelling Zoning Code and Comprehensive Plan text and commentary
- Volume 3: Additional Zoning Amendments, Additional code amendments updating other zoning code chapters, providing consistency with the core amendments in Volume 2
- Proposed Draft Summary – Español [Mejor vivienda por diseño - Resumen preliminar propuesto]
For more information about the Proposed Draft
- Visit the project website: www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/betterhousing
- Helpline: Call 503-823-0195. Interpretation services available.
- Email: email@example.com
The Bureau of Planning and Sustainability is committed to providing meaningful access. For accommodations, modifications, translation, interpretation or other services, please call 503-823-7700 or use City TTY 503-823-6868, or Oregon Relay Service 711. 503-823-7700.