- City Council launched the mid-term franchise review on August 3, 2017 and adopted guiding principles for the review, including new principles to increase workforce diversity and reduce barriers to economic opportunity for Minority/Women Business Enterprises (M/WBEs)
- BPS held stakeholder interviews, conducted a workforce demographic survey, drafted an Options Report, and convened two stakeholder group meetings in the fall of 2017.
- BPS reported back to City Council in late January 2018 with findings that the franchise system Is serving Portland well on most counts, yet more research was needed to assess options for reducing barriers to new entrants in the franchise system and other economic opportunities.
- BPS posted a Request for Information (RFI) in March to assess interest and capabilities of potential new entrants to the franchise system and presented a proposal to Planning and Sustainability Commission (PSC) in Spring of 2018. BPS proposed some changes to the franchise agreement itself as well as ways to improve access for M/WBEs in Portland’s waste industry outside of the residential franchise, including overhauling the City’s procurement approach for its own collection contracts and convening a process to consider additional regulation of multifamily properties.
- BPS is currently drafting an updated franchise agreement and a Waste Equity Strategy in the summer of 2018. The draft franchise renewal agreement and the draft Waste Equity Strategy will be posted by end of July 2018.
- The draft franchise agreement will be finalized and published in the Daily Journal of Commerce by August 15, 2018.
- BPS is slated to ask City Council to accept the Waste Equity Strategy and to adopt the new franchise agreement at a hearing in late August or early September. The Council will vote on the franchise agreement in late September or early October. The new franchise agreement takes effect 60 days after adoption.
- New administrative rules are needed to implement proposed changes in the draft franchise agreement. The rulemaking process will also begin during the summer of 2018.
To get involved in the residential garbage and recycling franchise review process and/or administrative rulemaking process, please email email@example.com.