Over the past two years, Portlanders around the city have indicated they want to take care of and improve their neighborhoods as the city grows. They want more people to have opportunities to live in complete neighborhoods. And they want more housing choices at different price points ... for their parents, so they can age in place. Their children so they can afford to live in the city they grew up in. For the teachers, and grocery clerks, students and firefighters who contribute to our communities. And the many newcomers who are moving here every day.
Portland's Planning and Sustainability Commission is in the process of considering new rules that would shape our residential neighborhoods. These proposals would allow more housing units to be built in residential neighborhoods, but only if they follow new limits on size and scale.
Read recent media coverage of RIP
Alone, a zoning change won’t solve our housing shortage. But the rules that govern what types of housing are allowed in our neighborhoods affect not just how they look and feel – but who can live in them as well. Together, these new rules will help to restore diversity to our residential neighborhoods by allowing more families and households to live in them, while at the same time limiting the construction of massive new homes.
The PSC has completed five work sessions (see links to YouTube videos below) and has two more scheduled to complete their initial review of RIP proposals.
Upcoming PSC Work Session
- Tuesday, August 14 – Meeting starts at 12:30 p.m. (RIP time on agenda 2:30 – 4:30 p.m. | Topic: Narrow Lots)
- Tuesday, September 11 – Meeting starts at 12:30 p.m. (RIP time on agenda TBA | PSC gives staff final direction on their Proposed Draft amendments)
Please confirm dates, times and agendas one week prior by visiting the PSC Calendar.
Later this fall ...
Staff will bring back revised code and maps that implement the PSC’s direction. The Commissioners will consider these changes and vote on their recommendations to City Council.
All PSC hearings and meetings are streamed live on the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability YouTube channel.
Past PSC Work Sessions
You may view past PSC work sessions by clicking “Video” on the top of the YouTube channel home page or via the links provided below.
- Tuesday, May 22, 5 p.m. (RIP starts at 2:15:00 | Schedule and Topics for Upcoming PCS’s Work Sessions)
- Thursday, June 7, 2 p.m. (RIP starts at beginning | Topic: Scale of Houses)
- Tuesday, June 26, 5 p.m. (RIP starts at 1:00:00 | Topic: Housing Options – Part One)
- Tuesday, July 10, 12:30 p.m. (RIP starts 1:00:00 | Topic: Housing Options – Part Two, continued from June 26)
- Tuesday, July 24, 5 p.m. (RIP starts 1:00:00 | PSC direction on Scale of Housing and Housing Options amendments)
Want more information?
Visit the website at www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/infill.
Or give us a call:
- Morgan Tracy, Project Manager, 503-823-6879
- Julia Gisler, Public Involvement, 503-823-7624
The Bureau of Planning and Sustainability is committed to providing meaningful access. For accommodations, modifications, translation, interpretation or other services, please call 503-823-7700 or use City TTY 503-823-6868, or Oregon Relay Service 711. 503-823-7700.