Keep the Holiday Season Green!
Create good cheer and cut down on the extra holiday-related trash collection by offering residents information before they bring fresh trees home or put broken light strings in the recycling. Between Halloween and New Year’s, consider one or more of these ideas to help your community maximize the spirit of the season while minimizing the waste:
- Post a seasonal reminder (or two) for your residents in common spaces such as laundry rooms, bike storage or mail areas to let tenants know how or where to take trees, electronics and other holiday leftovers.
- Create a donation collection (before or after the holiday) for clean and usable household goods, clothing, and electronics; coordinate delivery with local charitable organizations.
- Organize a wrapping station for residents: Remake last year’s greeting cards into gift tags; use maps, paper bags and newspaper for wrapping paper; and share extra boxes, bows and ribbons
- Host a holiday season swap event: Invite residents and staff to exchange “white elephant” gifts, holiday decor and other usable items. Don't forget the refreshments and music for a festive community event.
- Trees: If possible, designate a tree collection area where residents can discard their trees and greenery to collect for compost.
- Arrange a pick-up date with your garbage and recycling company, or a non-profit organization.
- Ask maintenance staff take them to a drop-off yard debris recycling center.
- Encourage residents to take trees to a local non-profit op collection event.
Don’t forget to download and share the Holiday Recycling Help for Our Community flyer with your residents – if you have a monthly newsletter, it can be printed out and included or attached electronically; otherwise it can be distributed to each household or posted in common areas. Email or call 503-823-5054 for printed copies.