Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Office of Management & Finance

Bureau of Revenue and Financial Services

Phone: 503-823-5288

Fax: 503-823-5384

1120 SW 5th Avenue, Rm 1040, Portland, OR 97204

Contractor Requirements - General

Vendors need to meet certain basic requirements to do business with the City.  The following are those requirements that apply to most contracts.  Check other sections of our site for requirements specific to construction contracts and apparel contracts.



Current Portland Business License Tax Account

In order to do business with the City, your Portland Business License Tax Account must be current.  This applies to both resident and non-resident vendors.   Access a copy of your certificate of compliance or manage your business tax account (or register if you don't have an account) on the Revenue Bureau Business Taxes website or call their office at 503-823-5157.  


Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Certification

The City of Portland requires EEO certification of all vendors and contractors doing business with the City in excess of $2,500 annually, and of all construction project sub-contractors.

In order to be EEO certified, your firm must fill out the online form at our Online Procurement Center stating that it does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income.  Your company must also take steps to ensure equal opportunity in all aspects of employment.  These aspects include, but are not limited to, hiring, promotion, transfer, advertising, layoff, termination, rates of pay, training (including apprenticeship), and terms and conditions of employment.


Register Your Business with the Oregon Central Business Registry

You may contact the Secretary of State Corporation Division at 503-986-2200 or go online to >  Business Registry.


Insurance and Workers Compensation

Insurance is required and varies depending on the nature of the contract.  If your business will be working on City owned property, you will need to provide a Certificate of Insurance before the contract is executed.  More information is available on our vendor insurance requirements page.


Equal Benefits Compliance

City contractors are required to provide benefits to their employees with domestic partners equivalent to those provided to employees with spouses. Use our Online Procurement Center to register your Equal Benefits status. Per the City's Equal Benefits Ordinance, registration is required for contracts that meet or exceed the “formal” dollar threshold.


MWESB Program Participation 

Depending upon the project or solicitation the City may require contractors to pursue minority-owned, women-owned, or emerging small business (MWESB) participation.  Check the Social Equity Contracting section of our website for further information.


Nonresident Bidder Form

Nonresident bidders that are awarded a contract that exceeds $10,000 in value must report the award to the Oregon Department of Revenue on a Non-Resident Bidder Form.   Vendors should then forward a copy to the City.  This requirement must be met before the City issues final payment on the contract.