Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Office of Management & Finance

Bureau of Revenue and Financial Services

Phone: 503-823-5288

Fax: 503-823-5384

1120 SW 5th Avenue, Rm 1040, Portland, OR 97204

How to Obtain Insurance Required to Use City Facilites and Venues


City Risk LogoRisk Management - Insurance


The insurance required for permits to use many of the City facilities for special events can be purchased from a variety of sources.

  • Many home-owners’ policies offer coverage for an event or  a special rider can be purchased to cover the event.

  • Many insurance agencies can put together what is called a special events policy.

  • If this insurance isn’t available to users, another option could be a Tenant Users Liability Policy (TULIP).   The City has arranged to make available liability and property coverage for those using City facilities or venues.  The TULIP policy is designed specifically for users of City facilities and venues, so it meets our agreement requirements and is often more cost effective.  Coverage is provided for the majority of events, however large scale events or those with dangerous or risky activities may be excluded.