The City’s budget process shall include the following phases, which apply to all City bureaus.
- Issue the budget preparation guidelines and schedule. The process schedule shall provide for participation of the City’s budget advisory committees, public testimony and participation, and Council deliberations.
- Present bureau budget requests, five-year financial plans, and five-year capital improvement plans in a manner consistent with budget directives.
- Issue City Budget Office reviews based upon independent analysis that summarizes each budget request and provides recommendations based upon adopted financial policies, budget guidance, and best practices.
- Develop the Proposed Budget as required by Oregon Revised Statutes for presentation to the Council sitting as the budget committee.
- Schedule Council budget hearings for the purpose of receiving public testimony and reaching final decisions necessary to balance the City’s budget.
- Adopt utility rates and charges for water, sewer/storm water, and solid waste.
- Submit the approved budget to the Multnomah County Tax Supervising and Conservation Commission for review. 8. Adopt the budget in accordance with Council directives, local budget law, and certification from the Tax Supervising and Conservation Commission.
The City’s involvement as the Portland Development Commission’s (PDC) budget committee includes the following phases as required by Oregon Revised Statutes.
- Receive the Proposed Budget as developed by PDC for presentation to the budget committee.
- Schedule budget committee hearing for the purpose of receiving public testimony and reaching final decisions on the Approved Budget.
- Approve the budget and levy taxes for urban renewal collections.
City Budget Office
Adopted by City Council August 2014