Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

To improve security, on Feb. 11th the city will begin disabling TLS 1.0 on our websites. This change should not impact you unless you are using an old browser. More information


Charter, Code and Policies

City of Portland



More Contact Info

17.24.017 Temporary Street Closure.

(Amended by Ordinance No. 185212, effective March 21, 2012.)  The Director of the Bureau of Transportation may close or by permit allow to be closed temporarily any street or portion thereof for the following reasons:

A.  To facilitate construction, demolition or installation of facilities on public or private property.

B.  To restrict vehicular use of an unimproved street for the protection of the public or to eliminate a neighborhood nuisance.

C.  To provide for block parties.

D.  To provide for community events alcohol prohibited or community events alcohol allowed.

Such closures shall include the requirements of the Traffic Engineer and provide for appropriate insurance as required by the Director of the Bureau of Transportation, protecting the public and the City.

A person will be denied a permit under PCC Section 17.24.017 C. & D. if more than 50 percent of the property owners abutting the street to be closed object to the closure or if another City Bureau objects to the closure based on concerns for neighborhood livability such as noise, disorderly conduct, litter, or public safety.

A person who is denied a permit under PCC Section 17.24.017 C. & D. may appeal the matter to City Council. The applicant shall file with the City Auditor within five days after denial a written notice of appeal.  The notice shall identify the decision that is being appealed, and include the appellant’s name, address, phone number, signature, and a clear statement of the specific reason(s) for the appeal. Upon receipt of such appeal, the Auditor shall then place the matter upon the Calendar of the City Council. At the hearing, the Council may affirm or modify the decision of the Director of the Bureau of Transportation as the Council may deem necessary.