A. All Publication Boxes must be placed on a Sidewalk, parallel to the curb and face the Through Pedestrian Zone.
B. Publication Boxes which meet all of the requirements of this code may be chained to a sign post, street light or signal/utility pole. If the sign post, street light or signal/utility pole is painted a plastic or rubber coated steel chain/cable is required. The distance between the Publication Box and the sign post, street light, or signal/utility pole shall be no more than 6 inches. If the sign post, street light, or signal/utility pole is not owned by the City of Portland then the written permission of the owner of such property is required.
C. Publication Boxes may not be fastened in any way to street furniture, public art, bicycle racks or street trees.
D. Publication Boxes placed within the right-of-way shall be located in groupings with a combined length of no greater than 10 feet, immediately abutting one another. At least 20 feet must be left clear of Publication Boxes between groupings of Publication Boxes along the same block face.
E. The maximum height of any Publication Box shall be 50 inches. The maximum width of any Publication Box shall be 24 inches. The maximum depth of any such publication box shall be 24 inches.
F. Publication Boxes cannot be located:
1. within a traffic island, median or traffic circle;
2. within 5 feet of any Crosswalk;
3. within 5 feet of a fire hydrant;
4. within 5 feet of a drinking fountain;
5. within 5 feet of any public art;
6. within 5 feet of any driveway, alley, or curb cut;
7. within 5 feet of any portion of an ADA Ramp;
8. within 5 feet of a marked disabled parking space;
9. within 5 feet of a marked loading or taxi zone;
10. within a Transit Platform unless allowed by Portland StreetCar or TriMet;
11. at any distance less than 2 feet from the street side face of the curb, measured to the side of the Publication Box closest to the curb;
12. within the corner of two intersecting sidewalk corridors, as determined by the adjacent property lines extended;
13. where the unobstructed Through Pedestrian Zone is less than 8 feet within Pedestrian Districts and City Walkways, or 6 feet on all other sidewalks. (Sidewalk classification for this purpose shall be determined pursuant to the City’s Transportation System Plan);
14. where the Publication Box may cause damage to any landscaping, including but not limited to lawn, flowers, shrubs or trees;
15. where the Publication Box may cause damage to or interfere with the use of pipes, vault areas, telephone or electrical cables/wires or other utility facilities;
16. on any grating, manhole cover or access lid;
17. where the Publication Box obstructs access to parked vehicles;
18. where the Publication Box obscures any fixed regulatory or informational sign.