(Replaced by Ordinance No. 187432, effective December 5, 2015.)
A. Appointment of Administrative Appeal Board. The Bureau of Development Services Administrative Appeal Board consists of the Building Official and Bureau staff members appointed by the Director. In appointing staff members, the Director will consider the issues presented by the appeal, and what particular expertise will be helpful in addressing those issues. The staff will act in an advisory capacity to the Building Official. The Administrative Appeal Board may:
1. review appeals of the Bureau’s application and interpretation of this Title and the Electrical Code;
2. review requests for modifications to the strict application of the Electrical Code; and
3. review requests to use an alternative method.
B. Appeals to the Administrative Appeal Board and Final Decisions. Any person aggrieved by a decision of the Bureau related to the application and interpretation of the Electrical Code or this Title or who wants to request consideration of an alternative method may file an appeal with the Administrative Appeal Board. Such an appeal must be filed within 180 days of the Bureau decision being appealed; provided, however, the Electrical Code in effect at the time the Bureau decision was made shall be applied to the administrative appeal. The Administrative Appeal Board may:
1. grant an appeal if the Administrative Appeal Board finds that the Electrical Code was not correctly interpreted or applied;
2. grant requests for modifications to the strict application of the Electrical Code where it is assured that the modification provides equivalent safety; or
3. approve an alternative method if the Administrative Appeal Board finds that any such alternative complies with the intent of the Electrical Code and that the method offered is, for the purpose intended, at least the equivalent of that prescribed in the Electrical Code in safety. The Administrative Appeal Board may not waive the requirements of the Electrical Code. The Administrative Appeal Board review will culminate in a final decision by the Building Official. The Administrative Appeal Board meeting is not open to attendance by the appellant or the public. The Bureau will provide final decisions to the appellant by publication of the decision on the Bureau’s website within 10 calendar days of the hearing, provided the Bureau has received all required information from the applicant.
C. Reconsideration of Final Decisions and Appeals to the Electrical Code Board of Appeal. Any person aggrieved by a final decision of the Building Official made under Subsection B. above may either file a reconsideration of that decision within 180 days of the decision based on new or revised information or appeal the decision to the Electrical Code Board of Appeal in accordance with Section 26.03.070 within 90 days of the final decision being appealed. There is no additional fee for the first reconsideration of an Administrative Appeal Board decision or for an appeal to the Electrical Code Board of Appeal. The Electrical Code in effect at the time of the final decision being reconsidered or appealed will be applied to the reconsideration or subsequent appeal to the Electrical Code Board of Appeal.
D. Fees for Appeals. The fees for administrative appeals shall be as stated in the Fee Schedule adopted by the City Council. The current approved Fee Schedule is available at the Development Services Center and on the Bureau’s website.