A. Application. An applicant for a Taxi Company permit shall submit to the Director:
1. A completed application on a form supplied by the Director;
2. Proof of registration with the Secretary of State for any corporate, LLC, or LLP entity;
3. Proof of registration with the Secretary of State for any assumed business name, along with a listing of the registrant of such;
4. A list of all persons or entities with 10 percent or more stock ownership, if the company issues stock certificates;
5. If the applicant Taxi Company is individually owned, the name, business address (or home address), telephone number, and date of birth of the owner;
6. If the applicant Taxi Company is a corporation, partnership, or other business entity, the names, business addresses, telephone numbers, and date of birth of the person or persons vested with authority to manage or direct the affairs of the legal entity in Portland (“Authorized Representative”) or to bind the legal entity in dealings with third parties, and any other information that the Director may reasonably require;
7. The applicant Taxi Company’s zero-tolerance drug and non-discrimination policy;
8. The applicant Taxi Company's user terms of service, if applicable;
9. The applicant Taxi Company’s dispatch contact information, confirmation that dispatch is available 24 hours, seven days a week and, if applicable, Taxi Dispatch App general use information;
10. Contact information of the Taxi Company’s agent of service and customer service support;
11. A description and photo or rendering of the branding and exterior color scheme that the applicant Taxi Company proposes to use for its fleet of affiliated taxi vehicles and consistent with the Administrative Rule;
12. Company-proposed fare rates, and;
13. A non-refundable application fee.
14. All fines and penalties must be paid prior to issuing or reissuing a taxi company permit.
B. Compliance with Secretary of State’s Rules. No permit will be issued unless the company is validly registered with the Secretary of State, including all assumed business names.
C. Insurance. All Taxi Company permit holders shall comply with taxi insurance requirements pursuant to Section 16.40.130. All taxi companies shall file a certificate of liability and applicable endorsements with the Director that evidences insurance coverage and terms that are in compliance with the requirements.
D. Director Review Process. After receiving a completed Taxi Company application form and upon successful completion of all the requirements pursuant to Section 16.40.110, the Director shall review the application in order to make a recommendation to the Commissioner-in-Charge for approval or denial.
E. Application Approval. Upon approval by the Commissioner-in-Charge, the Director may issue a Company permit.
F. Application Denial. The Application shall be denied for any of the following reasons:
1. The Taxi Company applicant fails to submit all required information and documentation, including valid proof of insurance;
2. The Taxi Company applicant provides dispatch services to anyone other than affiliated taxi drivers meeting the requirements set forth in Chapter 16.40 without prior approval by the Director;
3. The Taxi Company applicant leases, permits, or otherwise allows other entities not affiliated with the Taxi Company and certified by the Director to operate Taxi services;
4. The Taxi Company applicant affiliates with and provides dispatch services to drivers operating vehicles without Taxi Vehicle certification by the Director.
5. The application has a material misstatement or omission, and;
6. The Taxi Company application is incomplete.
G. Denial Appeal. If the application is denied, the applicant Taxi Company may appeal the decision to the Code Hearings Officer under the provisions of Chapter 22.10.
H. Providing Taxi Services. Taxi services shall be provided only by a permitted Taxi Company.
I. Certification of Taxi Drivers. The Taxi Company shall provide a list of applicant drivers affiliated with the permitted Taxi Company for Director certification that the drivers meet requirements in Section 16.40.170, on a form approved by the Director, upon request as drivers are newly affiliated, or as driver certification status changes. Drivers shall be certified and permitted by the Director prior to providing Taxi services on behalf of the affiliated Taxi Company and Taxi Drivers not meeting all required conditions will not be certified as a permitted Taxi Driver and will not be allowed to operate as a Taxi Driver. The requirements include:
1. Criminal and driver background checks;
2. A valid driver’s license;
3. Taxi Driver business license number (unless the driver operates the vehicle as an employee of the company); and
4. Bureau-approved driver training within 30 calendar days of a PFHT driver’s certification by the Director.
J. Term of Certified Taxi Driver. Certifications for Taxi Drivers provided by a Taxi Company to the Director shall be valid for 1 year from the date of the initial certification. The affiliated Taxi Company shall provide a re-certification to the Director within 1 month prior to the certification expiration on a form approved by the Director.
K. Taxi Driver Re-certification. The Taxi Company shall provide a list of applicant drivers for re-certification to the Director within 1 month prior to the Taxi Driver certification expiration, on a form approved by the Director. Applicant drivers shall meet all conditions and be consistent with Taxi Driver certification requirements pursuant to this Chapter. Drivers not meeting all conditions will not be re-certified as a Taxi Driver and shall not be allowed to operate as a Taxi Driver.
L. Certification of Taxi Vehicles. The Taxi Company shall regularly provide a list of applicant vehicles affiliated with the permitted Taxi Company for Director certification that vehicles meet requirements pursuant to Sections 16.40.150 and 16.40.160 on a form approved by the Director. Vehicles shall be certified by the Director and affiliated with a permitted Taxi Company prior to providing Taxi services. Vehicles not meeting all required conditions will not be certified as a permitted Taxi Vehicle and will not be allowed to operate as a Taxi Vehicle. Such requirements include:
1. Vehicle ASE mechanic safety inspection;
2. Vehicle registration and licensing;
3. Vehicle properly equipped and in good condition; and
4. Commercial automobile liability insurance.
M. Term of Certification of Taxi Vehicles. Certifications for Taxi Vehicles provided by the Director shall be valid for a term of 1 year from date of Director certification.
N. Taxi Vehicle Re-certification. The Taxi Company shall provide a list of applicant vehicles for re-certification to the Director at least 1 month prior to the Taxi Vehicle certification expiration, on a form approved by the Director. Applicant vehicles shall meet all conditions and be consistent with Taxi Vehicle certification requirements pursuant to this Chapter for re-certification. Vehicles not meeting all the conditions will not be re-certified as a Taxi Vehicle and shall not be allowed to operate as a Taxi Vehicle.
O. Denial Appeal. If a Taxi Driver or Taxi Vehicle certification is denied, suspended, or revoked by the Director, the applicant driver or vehicle owner may appeal the decision to the Code Hearings Officer under the provisions of Chapter 22.10.
P. Right to a Permit. The Taxi Company’s ability to satisfy the criteria for a Taxi Company permit does not create a right to a Taxi Company permit.
Q. Transferring Permits. Permits are non-transferrable. The Company must notify the City within 5 business days in the event of any changes in business ownership.
R. Removal of Taxi Drivers and Vehicles from Affiliated Taxi Company. Taxi companies shall notify the Director within 1 business day when an affiliated Taxi Driver has been prohibited from providing Taxi services by the Taxi Company and/or Taxi Vehicles have been removed from the fleet of the affiliated Taxi Company.
S. Operating at the Port of Portland. Taxi Companies, Drivers, and Vehicles are prohibited from operating at the Portland International Airport without a City of Portland permit/certification and specific permission or approval from the Port of Portland.
T. Failure to comply with any provision in Section 16.40.110 is a Class B violation subject to the penalties provided in Sections 16.40.930 and 16.40.950.