A. No vehicle shall operate as a Shuttle Vehicle unless it has been certified by the Director and is affiliated with a permitted Shuttle Company and properly displays a valid City of Portland permit.
B. Vehicle Registration, Insurance, and Business License. A paper copy of the vehicle’s registration and proof of insurance shall be kept in every Shuttle Vehicle, pursuant to ORS 806.011. A copy of the business license is required for every driver operation as an independent contractor.
1. Failure to comply with any provision in this Subsection B. is a Class D violation subject to penalties provided in Sections 16.40.930 through 16.40.950.
C. Identification of Shuttle Vehicles. Every Shuttle Vehicle shall meet the following identification requirements to operate as a Shuttle Vehicle:
1. Every Shuttle Vehicle must prominently display on both sides of the vehicle the following information:
a. The full name of the Shuttle Company;
b. The company-assigned Shuttle Vehicle number;
c. The telephone number of that Shuttle Company where services can be requested; and
d. The word “shuttle.”
2. Upon successful completion of the Shuttle Vehicle permit application process and payment of required fees as outlined in Chapter 16.40, the Director will issue a vehicle identification decal bearing the City Seal for each certified Shuttle Vehicle.
3. Shuttle decals are valid for a period of no more than 12 months from the date of issuance, and all decals expire on the same day as the expiration of the affiliated Shuttle Company permit. Fees for decals that are not issued contemporaneously with a Shuttle Company permit will be prorated to equal the cost of the number of months remaining until the Shuttle Company permit expires.
4. Shuttle decals must be affixed to the vehicle’s front and back window in a manner outlined by the Administrative Rule.
5. Shuttle decals that are intentionally destroyed or damaged by a Shuttle Company or Shuttle Driver prior to renewal and without the City’s authorization are not subject to renewal.
6. Voided Shuttle Vehicle decals are not renewable in the year following their voidance. Once a Shuttle Vehicle decal is voided, a Shuttle Company may not renew that decal and instead must complete the initial application process if the Shuttle Company seeks a decal for that Shuttle Vehicle.
7. Shuttle Vehicle decals issued by the Director shall not be leased, sold, transferred, or assigned in any manner.
8. Shuttle Vehicle decals issued by the Director that are not returned to the City within 21 days upon revocation or upon a failure to renew are considered conversion of City property and an actionable offense in a court of competent jurisdiction.
D. Vehicle Operating Conditions. In determining whether a Shuttle Vehicle meets the vehicle condition requirements, the vehicle shall at all times be maintained in good condition, repair, and appearance which includes the following:
1. All Shuttle Vehicle equipment and devices shall be properly equipped and maintained in good working order.
2. At all times, Shuttle Vehicles shall include the following properly functioning components: a horn, lights, (including turn signals, back-up signals, and interior lights) windshield wipers, windshield washers, heating/air conditioning systems, odometer, speedometer and mufflers, tail pipes, or other exhaust components that prevent unnecessary noise and smoke emissions.
3. The Shuttle Vehicle body shall be free of major damage and broken or cracked equipment, including but not limited to, windows, lights, light covers, top light, and reflectors.
4. Shuttle Vehicles shall be free of dirt, grease, grime, glue, or tape. This shall apply to the vehicle’s paint, upholstery, windows, floorboard, and integrated parts of the vehicle’s body.
5. The Shuttle Vehicle shall not include missing nor makeshift parts for vehicles, including but not limited to, fenders, hood, trunk lid, doors, door handles, windows, chrome or rubber strips, upholstery, ashtrays, or carpeting and may be equipped with studded tires only during time periods allowed by Oregon Law.
6. Safe condition shall require that the vehicle is in compliance with the standards contained in ORS Title 59, Oregon Vehicle Code, Chapters 801 through 823.
E. Mandatory Compliance. Shuttle Vehicles shall be made available for compliance audits and enforcement actions upon request by the Director or law enforcement officers pursuant to Chapter 16.40.
F. Unless otherwise noted, failure to comply with any provision in Section 16.40.460 is a Class B violation subject to penalties provided in Sections 16.40.930 through 16.40.950.