EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AFFIRMATIVE ACTION PLAN FOR MINORITIES & WOMEN 2018-2022
Binding City Policy
Section 1. The Council finds:
1. The historic experience of the City of Portland (the City), in providing the opportunity for full and equal participation of women and minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities in employment opportunities offered by the City under Affirmative Action, has demonstrated the value of such efforts with regards to increasing the effectiveness of the workforce and improving the work environment in the City; and
2. The development and implementation of an effective Affirmative Action Plan linked to a comprehensive business strategy of equity and diversity development provides the best opportunity for the City to improve the delivery of services to its diverse citizens; and
3. This City Affirmative Action Plan uses comprehensive data to compute availability of women and minorities within various job groups and identifies where underutilization may be occurring, indicating a need for additional affirmative action efforts; and
4. The City Affirmative Action Plan complies with Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity legislation, rules and policies; establishes direction, provides guidelines and supports organizational change, increases diversity and cultural competency in the workforce, and reduces discrimination and harassment in the workplace; and
5. The City is a recipient of federal funding and is subject to review under various Equal Employment Opportunity compliance guidelines in accordance with Executive Order 11246, as amended 30 F.R. 12319, title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Vietnam Era Veteran’s Readjustment Act as amended by the Jobs for Veterans Act and Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Council directs:
a. The City of Portland 2018-2022 Equal Employment Opportunity Affirmative Action Plan attached hereto as Exhibit A, is hereby adopted as binding city policy, effective upon passage by City County, and shall be annually reviewed and updated and/or revised as needed.
b. The City of Portland 2018-2022 Equal Employment Opportunity Affirmative Action Plan shall take precedence over any existing plans relating to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employment practices.
c. This ordinance is binding City policy.
Section 2. The Council declares that an emergency exists because the current City of Portland 2013-2017 Equal Employment Opportunity Affirmative Action Plan, which was extended for six months, will expire on December 31, 2017. Therefore, this ordinance shall be in full force and effective from and after its passage by the Council.
Link to Exhibit A - Equal Employment Opportunity Affirmative Action Plan (PDF Document, 8.27 MB)
Emergency Ordinance No. 188629, passed by City Council and effective October 4, 2017.