LOSS PREVENTION POLICY
Binding City Policy
The Council finds:
- The City of Portland has significant financial and human resources, equipment and infrastructure assets.
- The City Council, Bureau Managers and City Employees are stewards of the City's assets.
- Compliance with federal and state mandates require plans for worker safety and health.
- The Council desires safety and loss prevention be an integral part of the City's culture and emphasis be placed on protecting the City's financial, human resources, equipment and infrastructure for purposes of maintaining and enhancing the City’s financial stability and livability.
- Safety Net is a cross functional team of bureau safety representatives and advocates working collaboratively with the Division of Risk Management in the continuing development and implementation of a safety and loss prevention culture to ensure preservation of the City's human, financial, equipment and infrastructure assets. Safety Net's Vision and Mission Statements are included in Attachment II to Exhibit I.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Council directs:
a. The City of Portland Loss Prevention Policy including Human Resources, Equipment and Infrastructure, attached hereto as Exhibit I, is hereby adopted.
b. Safety Net is hereby recognized as a formal team working collaboratively with the Division of Risk Management in City safety and loss prevention matters. Bureau Managers shall appoint a representative to Safety Net.
c. Bureaus shall develop a Five-Year Bureau Loss Prevention Plan in the spirit of this Policy and in compliance with the Guidelines, Attachment I to Exhibit I. The Worker Safety and Fleet components of Bureau Plans are to be submitted to Risk Management not later than June 1 with the General Liability component due on September 30, 1996. Annual updates will be required in concert with budget and Risk Annual Report preparation time lines.
d. Bureau work plans shall incorporate the Bureau Loss Prevention Plan and results shall be reported to the City Council in conjunction with the Budget Monitoring Review process.
e. The City's Adopted Budget shall annually report on bureau performance in loss prevention based on measures recommended by Safety Net and approved by Council.
f. Performance appraisals for managers and employees shall include the roles and responsibilities associated with loss prevention identified in Exhibit I.
g. The Bureau of Risk Management, in collaboration with Safety Net, shall establish City-wide loss prevention benchmarks.
h. The Division of Risk Management, in collaboration with Safety Net, shall develop and return to Council with a recommended City-wide, mandated safety management culture training curriculum not later than September 1996. Council will review the training curriculum recommendations, adopt a curriculum and allocate resources necessary to implement City-wide safety management culture training effective July 1, 1997.
i. Bureau and job specific training shall be identified in individual Bureau Loss Prevention Plans.
j. The Division of Risk Management, in collaboration with Safety Net, is hereby directed to develop and return to Council with a Loss Prevention Recognition Program not later than September 1996. Council will review the recommendations, adopt a Program, and allocate resources necessary to implement a City-wide Loss Prevention Recognition program effective July 1, 1997.
Ordinance No. 169959 passed by Council and effective April 10, 1996.
Filed for inclusion in PPD September 30, 2004.