Unless otherwise indicated by the text or context of this Chapter, all terms shall have the definitions at Chapter 260 of Oregon Revised Statutes, as of January 1, 2018. Terms found therein or defined below are capitalized in this Chapter.
A. “Candidate” has the meaning set forth at ORS 260.005(1).
B. “Candidate Committee” has the meaning set forth at ORS 260.039 - 260.041, as of November 8, 2016, for the term “principal campaign committee.”
C. “City of Portland Candidate Election” means an election, including a primary election, to select persons to serve (or cease serving) in public offices of City of Portland.
D. “Communication” means any written, printed, digital, electronic or broadcast communications but does not include communication by means of small items worn or carried by Individuals, bumper stickers, Small Signs, or a distribution of 500 or fewer substantially similar pieces of literature within any 10 business-day period.
E. “Contribution” has the meaning set forth at ORS 260.005(3) and 260.007, as of November 8, 2016, except it does not include:
1. Funds provided by government systems of public funding of campaigns; or
2. Providing rooms, phones, and internet access for use by a candidate committee free or at a reduced charge.
F. “Dominant Contributor” means any Individual or Entity which contributes more than $1,000 during an Election Cycle to a Candidate Committee or Political Committee.
G. “Dominant Independent Spender” means any Individual or Entity which expends more than $1,000 during an Election Cycle to support or oppose a particular Candidate.
H. “Election Cycle” means:
1. Generally, the period between an election at which a Candidate is elected and the next election for that same office, disregarding any intervening primary or nominating election, any recall election, or any special election called to fill a vacancy.
2. For any recall election: the period beginning the day that the recall election is called or declared and ending at midnight of the day of the recall election.
3. For any special election called to fill a vacancy: the period beginning the day that the special election is called or declared and ending at midnight of the day of the election.
I. “Entity” means any corporation, partnership, limited liability company, proprietorship, Candidate Committee, Political Committee, or other form of organization which creates an entity which is legally separate from an Individual.
J. “Expenditure” has the meaning set forth at ORS 260.005(8) and ORS 260.007, as of January 1, 2018, except that:
1. It does not include a Communication to its members, and not to the public, by a Membership Organization not organized primarily for the purpose of influencing an election.
2. The exception in ORS 260.007(7) does not apply.
K. “General Election Period” means the period beginning the day after the biennial primary election and ending the day of the biennial general election.
L. “Individual” means a citizen or resident alien of the United States entitled to vote in federal elections; however, when this Chapter expresses a limitation or prohibition, “Individual” means any human being.
M. “Membership Organization” means a nonprofit organization, not formed or operated for the purpose of conducting or promoting commercial enterprise, which has Individual members who have taken action to join the organization and have made a payment of money or volunteer time to maintain membership in the organization.
1. It cannot have commercial enterprises as members.
2. It can transfer to one and only one Small Donor Committee not more than 40 percent of the amount paid to the organization by each Individual member, with a limit of $100 transferred per Individual member per calendar year.
3. It shall within 30 calendar days of any such transfer notify each paying member of the amount transferred, expressed in dollars or as a percentage of the member’s amount paid to the organization. Such notice may be provided by regular mail or electronic mail to each affected member or by posting the information on the organization’s main website. If the amount transferred is the same for each member or category of members (in dollars or in percentage of amount paid), the posting may state that amount or percentage without identifying individual members.
N. “Primary Election Period” means the period beginning on the 21st day after the preceding biennial general election and ending the day of the biennial primary election.
O. “Prominently Disclose” means that the disclosure shall be readily comprehensible to a person with average reading, vision, and hearing faculties, with:
1. any printed disclosure appearing in a type of contrasting color and in the same or larger font size as used for the majority of text in the printed material;
2. any video disclosure remaining reading on the regular screen (not closed captioning) for not less than 4 seconds;
3. any auditory disclosure spoken at a maximum rate of 5 words per second;
4. any website or email message in type of a contrasting color in the same or larger font size as used for the majority of text in the message;
5. any billboard or sign other than a Small Sign: in type of a contrasting color and not smaller than 10 percent of the height of the billboard or sign.
P. “Small Donor Committee” means a Political Committee which has never accepted any Contributions except from Individuals in amounts limited to $100 per Individual contributor per calendar year.
Q. “Small Sign” means a sign smaller than 6 square feet.