(Amended by Ordinance Nos. 189078, 189336 and 189531, effective June 28, 2019.)
A. Duties. The Open and Accountable Elections Commission is hereby created. The Commission shall:
1. Provide assistance to the Director and Council in the development and implementation of the Open and Accountable Elections Fund. The Commission may make recommendations to the Director regarding administrative rules necessary to the effective administration of the code.
2. Make recommendations on adjustments to matching ratios, adjustments to contribution limits and other regulations to improve operation of public campaign finance.
3. At the request of the Director, advise the Director on administrative judgments, recommended policy changes, administrative rule development, and operation of the Open and Accountable Elections Fund.
4. Recommend to the Director for appointment hearings officers or an entity to review cases and make determinations under Section 2.16.160.
5. Adopt such operating policies and procedures as necessary to carry out its duties.
6. Prepare and submit to the Council a biennial report which shall contain an overview and evaluation of the Campaign Finance Fund during the previous election period.
B. Membership. The Open and Accountable Elections Commission shall consist of nine members who have demonstrated an interest in campaign finance funding and, insofar as possible, represent diverse interests and diverse communities. The Director shall solicit applications from the Office of Community & Civic Life and the general public in order to recommend nominees to Council for appointment.
C. Appointments and Terms.
1. Open and Accountable Elections Commission members shall be appointed by Council and serve 4 year terms starting May 1 of odd-numbered years, except that the initial appointments shall be as follows.
a. Four of the initial appointees will serve terms from January 1, 2019 to April 30, 2021; and
b. Five of the initial appointees will serve terms from January 1, 2019 to April 30, 2023.
2. Members of the Commission are limited to a maximum of two full terms, except that members serving an initial term of less than 4 years may serve two subsequent 4 year terms. If a position is vacated during a term, it shall be filled for the unexpired term. Council may replace any member of the Commission for due cause, including but not limited to malfeasance, incapacity, conflict of interest or neglect of duties.
D. Meetings, Officers and Subcommittees.
1. The Open and Accountable Elections Commission shall meet at least four times per year and may meet more often as otherwise necessary to conduct its business. Meetings shall be conducted in accordance with rules of procedure adopted by the Commission. Five members shall constitute a quorum. A quorum shall be necessary to make decisions that represent the position of the Commission and to conduct any other Commission responsibilities. The election of officers shall take place at the first meeting of each calendar year.
2. The officers of the Commission shall consist of a chairperson and a vice-chairperson. The chairperson shall be responsible for conducting the meetings of the committee. The vice-chairperson shall act as chair when the chairperson is not available.
3. The Commission may form subcommittees comprised of Commission members which are authorized to act on behalf of the Commission for an assigned purpose.
E. Attendance. Members of the Open and Accountable Elections Commission are expected to attend each meeting of the Commission. Council may replace any member who accrues unexcused absences from three or more consecutive meetings or more than 50 percent of the meetings in any year.
F. Compensation. Open and Accountable Elections Commission members shall serve without compensation.