Please note that the Noise Control Office is only open during regular business hours from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. If you are reporting noise currently in progress after 10:00 pm, please contact the Police non-emergency at 503-823-3333.
In most neighbor-to-neighbor noise concerns, the very first place to begin is to reach out to your neighbor. Many times, issues can be resolved by working together. If this approach does not work, Civic Life has a Neighborhood Mediation Program where we partner with Resolutions NW. This mediation service is available free of cost, and trained mediators are ready to assist you and your neighbor to find solutions together.
The Noise Office does not have the authority to address the following types of noise, but we've included phone numbers:
- Residential- to -residential animal noises (barking dogs) - Multnomah County Animal Services 503-988-7387
- Roosters, and urban wildlife - Bureau of Planning and Sustainability 503-823-1174
- Aircraft- in -flight issues (helicopters too!) - Port of Portland 503-460-4100
- Railroad issues - Federal Railway Administration - 1-800-724-5998
- Vehicle noise - non-emergency police dispatch - 503-823-3333
- Noise from human voices - covered under Oregon's Freedom of Speech rights (unless voices are so loud as to be considered "disturbing the peace", then non-emergency police dispatch at 503-823-3333, and an officer can assess whether it falls into this category)
- Garbage/recycling noise - Bureau of Planning and Sustainability 503-823-7202
- Children at play - The City of Portland does not regulate children and the various recreational equipment they might use
Types of Noise Covered by the Code
The noise code addresses many aspects of noise, including:
- amplified sound
- events and parades
- animal noises from legal animal facilities
For questions, information, or concerns, please email the Noise Office or file using the online noise complaint form.
Intent of code is to control the level of noise in a manner that promotes the use, value, and enjoyment of property, conduct of business, sleep and repose and reduces unnecessary and excessive sound in the environment.
This sheet explains City of Portland regulations on construction noise. (Code section 18.10.060)
Use this online form to report a noise concern.