Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Community & Civic Life

Promote the common good

Main: 503-823-4519

City/County Info: 503-823-4000

TDD: 503-823-6868

1221 SW 4th Ave, Suite 110, Portland, OR 97204

How to Make an ADA Complaint


There are different ways and different places to  make an official complaint. The best place to complain depends on which Title (part) of the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) is being violated.

The ADA Overview: The ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) is a Civil Rights law that has five primary areas.

Title I:  refers to employment discrimination

Title II: refers to public entities that receive government funding (including public transit, schools, and state and local governments)

Title III: refers to private entities (like businesses, private housing and private events)

Title IV: refers to  telecommunication (including television and telephones)

Title V: is miscellaneous parts (including non-retaliation, meaning someone cannot get you in trouble for filing a complaint)



Step One:

1. Know your rights. 

If you are a person with a disability or have a loved one with a disability, the best tool you have against to protect your rights is knowledge.  The ADA covers all areas of our daily lives. Many people are not aware of how the ADA works. Understanding the law and being able to tell people about it can be one way to stop discrimination.  Unless you are dealing with the US Department of Justice, do not assume people know what the ADA means or how it applies to your situation.

Some helpful websites:

United Spinal Cord Association - Understanding the ADA publication

US Department of Justice

These organizations' hotlines can answer questions about how the ADA or other civil rights laws might apply to your situation.

 Northwest ADA Center 


Oregon Department of Justice

Main Referral line: 503-378-4400

Consumer Protection Hotline: 1-877-877-9392

Contact information: 

US Department of Justice


Hotline hours and online ADA resources:


Step Two:

2. Contact the business or organization’s management. 

As stated earlier many people while familiar with the term ADA are not well educated on the law. Often talking to a supervisor or manager about how you feel your rights were violated will help resolve the issue. Directing them to the part of the law that relates to your situation may save you from having to file an official complaint.


Step Three:

3. Filing an official complaint

In Oregon you have several places you can and should file a complaint if the above step is ineffective.

Local and State

Bureau of Labor and Industry: 971-673-0761

Online Complaint Form:

Oregon Department of Justice

Main Referral line: 503-378-4400

Consumer Protection Hotline: 1-877-877-9392

Contact information by department: 


In addition to a local or state complaint, you can also file a complaint at the same time with

United States Department of Justice

How to file a complaint:  (gives instructions for online, mail, and fax options)

You can also file a complaint by calling: 1-800-514-0301 ex 7

 Updated: 8/25/17 JJ