Among the changes to Portland's cannabis regulation that City Council passed On Dec. 21, 2016 was lifting the restriction on delivery of retail cannabis to Portland consumers.
What does this mean?
- Before Dec. 21, 2016, Portland did not allow delivery of recreational cannabis to consumers. That restriction has since been lifted. Delivery of medical cannabis to medical patients has always been, and will continue to be, allowed in Portland.
Who can deliver retail cannabis to consumers?
- Businesses may deliver retail cannabis to consumers so long as they are licensed by both the State and the City to do so.
What does "licensed by the State" mean?
- It means being licensed as a Marijuana Retailer by the OLCC, AND having an approved Delivery Registration from the OLCC. These are requirements for all Oregon businesses that deliver retail cannabis to consumers.
What does "licensed by the City" mean?
- It means being licensed by the City of Portland as EITHER a Marijuana Retailer, OR as a Marijuana Retail Courier.
What's the difference between a Marijuana Retailer and a Marijuana Retail Courier?
Marijuana Retail Courier
|May be open to the public||May NOT be open to the public|
|1000-ft buffers from schools, Retailers, and Dispensaries||1000-ft buffers from schools|
|Application Fee: $975||Application Fee: $750|
|License Fee: $4975||License Fee: $3500|
|NEITHER may be located in Residential Zones RF-RH|
Who can order retail cannabis to be delivered?
- Portland adults 21 or over may order retail cannabis to be delivered to their home or apartment.
Can't my business just purchase cannabis from Retailers, then deliver directly to consumers?
- No. Businesses need to be licensed by both the State and the City for retail cannabis delivery, meet all State and City requirements, and follow all State and City regulations. This includes all security requirements and cannabis tracking requirements, among others.
Where can I get more information on State rules about retail delivery of cannabis to consumers?
- The OLCC administrative rules (specifically OAR 845-025-2880) go into detail about how retail delivery of cannabis to consumers is regulated.
Where can I get more information on City rules about retail delivery of cannabis to consumers?
- Portland City Code 14B.130, but most of the information about retail delivery of cannabis to consumers is right here on this page. If you have other questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 503-823-9333!