Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Community & Civic Life

Promote the common good

Main: 503-823-4519

City/County Info: 503-823-4000

TDD: 503-823-6868

1120 SW 5th Ave, Suite 114, Portland, OR 97204

April 24, 2017 - Ordinance Update

Chalice Processor

Our program wanted to follow-up to our post on April 12 about Portland cannabis regulations (you can find the April 12 update by clicking this link).

Last week, on Wed. April 19, 2017, Portland City Council passed two minor code language changes that will allow Marijuana Producers and Processors, in some cases, to use a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (TCO) to satisfy permitting requirements for obtaining a Marijuana Regulatory License (MRL). It also changed the definition of a Marijuana Wholesaler to match the definition used by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC).

This means that the ordinance will go into effect on May 19, 2017, which is 30 days after its April 19 passage.

What does this mean? Beginning May 19, Marijuana Producers and Processors, may (in some cases) use a TCO to satisfy permitting requirements needed to obtain a MRL. However, a TCO alone will NOT be sufficient in cases where additional permits are necessary for operations that are not covered by the temporary Certificate of Occupancy, including but not limited to mechanical permitting.

A good rule of thumb for this change: if a TCO allows for any and all operations proposed by a Producer or Processor, it will be sufficient to satisfy the permitting requirements for a MRL. If a TCO alone does not allow for those operations, then a TCO alone will not be sufficient to satisfy the permitting requirements.

To learn more about the Temporary Certificate of Occupancy process, you may click this link, or contact the Bureau of Development Services at 503-823-7300 or

Per usual, please reach out to us anytime if you have question or would like to connect at 503-823-9333 or