Lunch in Good Company
Oct 19, 2009 at 12:00 AM 2 Comments | Add a Comment
PF&R’s Fire Blog went live on Monday, October 19th with a challenge posed to all 30 stations…the first station to send in any type of blog entry and picture would receive free, dripping with cheese, sizzling pizzas for ALL 3 SHIFTS! Can you guess which station stepped up to the plate and were the first ones to submit their world famous Asparagus, Shrimp, and Scallop Stir Fry recipe??!!!
Station 22 B-Shifters!
There are three shifts (A, B, and C) that staff each of PF&R’s 30 stations. PF&R firefighters work for 24 hours and then get 48 hours off. The B-shift at Station 22 includes six firefighters and two Lieutenants. The pizzas were purchased from Mississippi Pizza in North Portland and were thoroughly enjoyed by Station 22 B-Shifters!
Try Station 22’s Asparagus, Shrimp, and Scallop Stir Fry recipe and let us know what you think!
Station 22’s Asparagus, Shrimp, & Scallop Stir Fry Recipe
* 1 pound frozen shelled, deveined shrimp
* 1 pound bay scallops
* 1 pound of sliced mushrooms
* 3/4 pound asparagus
* 8 to 9 ounces fresh linguine
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, peeled, and pressed
* 1 cup chopped tomatoes
* 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* About 1/2 cup skimmed chicken broth
* Salt and pepper
1. Place shrimp in a colander; rinse frequently with cold water until thawed, about 5 minutes. In a covered 5- to 6-quart nonstick pan over high heat, bring 2 1/2 to 3 quarts water to a boil.
2. Break off and discard tough stem ends from asparagus. Rinse asparagus and cut diagonally into 1 1/4-inch lengths.
3. Add linguine and shrimp to boiling water; cook, uncovered, until pasta is barely tender to bite and shrimp are opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part (cut to test), 2 to 3 minutes. Wash colander and pour pasta and shrimp into it; rinse with hot water and drain.
4. Rinse pan and return to high heat. When dry, add oil, garlic, mushrooms, and asparagus. Stir often until garlic begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, cilantro, and 1/2 cup broth; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium.
5. Pour shrimp mixture and scallops into pan. Mix until pasta is hot, 1 to 2 minutes. For a moister dish, add 2 to 4 more tablespoons broth. Pour into a wide bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Station 22: Did you Know?
Station 22 is located at 7205 N. Alta Avenue close to the St. John’s Bridge. Both an Engine and a Truck are housed at Station 22’s; Portland Fire & Rescue calls this a “double company.” The two apparatus responded to almost 2,600 calls last fiscal year. Station 22 also is home to two quads and a brush unit. The quads and brush unit are used primarily for wildland response, controlled burns, hauling gear, and park patrol.
October 22, 2009