Sausage and Pepper Skewers
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 bell peppers (red and yellow), cut into chunks
- 1 (12-ounce) package chicken sausage (preferably garlic-flavored), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into chunks
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Soak eight 8-inch skewers in water, at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high.
- Prepare the couscous as the label directs.
- Meanwhile, toss the bell peppers, sausage, onion and tomatoes in a bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Thread onto the skewers, alternating the sausage and vegetables.
- Grill, turning, until the vegetables are slightly softened and the sausage begins to brown, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree the parsley, cilantro and scallions in a blender with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, the vinegar and 2 tablespoons water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the skewers with some of the pesto and continue to cook, turning, until the tomatoes are tender and the sausage is charred, 6 to 7 more minutes.
- Toss the couscous with half of the remaining pesto and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with the skewers and the remaining pesto, for dipping.
Per serving: Calories 396; Fat 13 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 56 mg; Sodium 356 mg; Carbohydrate 45 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 24 g
Check out Portland Fire & Rescue's previous Firehouse Recipes of the Week:
Portland Fire & Rescue We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
August 24, 2010