Recipe courtesy of Firefighter Kevin, Station 12
Penne Rigate with Italian Sausage and Basil
- 1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage
- 4 cups penne pasta
- 1 can of button mushrooms
- 2 small zucchini's, diced
- 2 small yellow squash, diced
- 1 cup fresh parmesan
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 fresh jalapeno, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 bulb of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil, diced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil, as needed
- Take a large saute pan and add a 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Place pan over medium heat and start to cook the garlic.
- Then begin to cook the sausage in the same pan.
- When the sausage is about half cooked, add the zucchini, yellow squash and onion.
- When the veggies are half done add the mushrooms, tomatoes, and jalapeno.
- Add the basil and seasonings when the dish is nearly complete.
- Stir cheese in right before serving.
- Cook the pasta separately.
- Add pasta to dish before serving.
Check out Portland Fire & Rescue's previous Firehouse Recipes of the Week:
Portland Fire & Rescue We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
August 31, 2010