Calling All 16- to 20-Year Olds Interested in Fire Service Careers!
Aug 31, 2010 at 2:13 PM 1 Comment
Portland Fire & Rescue
EXPLORER PROGRAM | 2010
TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO APPLY TO THE EXPLORER PROGRAM!
Application deadline: September 24, 2010
Are you between the ages of 16 to 20 and
interested in learning about a CAREER AS A FIREFIGHTER?
The Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) Explorer Program provides the opportunity for young men and women, ages 16 to 20, to become familiar with career opportunities available in the fire service. Through classroom instruction, hands-on training, and volunteer work, Explorers are provided a base of knowledge and experience that will benefit them not only in fire service careers, but also in all future endeavors. The program is designed to encourage and promote accountability, being safe, communication, teamwork, fitness and develop leadership skills.
The Explorer Program is a subsidiary of the Learning for Life organization. The mission statement for Learning for Life is to enable young people to become responsible individuals by teaching positive character traits, career development, leadership and life skills so they can make moral choices and achieve their full potential.
PF&R is committed to providing our Explorers with the most realistic experience possible. The Explorer Program is designed and functions similarly to a Fire Science/Fire Academy. The goal of the program is to provide Explorers with a basic understanding of the fire service and to prepare them for future professional advancement opportunities such as Resident/Volunteer Firefighting, College Level Fire Science Programs and EMT/Paramedic Programs.
- Explorers must be between the ages of 16 and 20.
- Explorers must be able to attend weekly drills every Saturday from 9:00 am to 11:30 am, October through May 2010.
- Pass weekly quizzes and complete academic assignments.
- Perform weekly physical fitness and training specific to fire fighting skills.
- Complete assigned duties/responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Adhere to dress and conduct codes provided.
- Willingness to make improvements and show self motivation
- Cost for the Explorer Program is $30. This includes the membership to the Learning for Life organization and one (1) t-shirt. An additional refundable deposit of $25.00 is required for the reading material. Explorers will be issued reading material, turnout coat, pants, boots, gloves and helmet to be returned at the completion of the program.
Apply Now to the Explorer Program:
All applications must be received by September 24, 2010 by 5:00 pm. Click here to fill out the 2010 Explorer Application. Please note that there is a 75-word minimum for the two application questions. ONLY COMPLETED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED. Either e-mail your completed application to Fire Station 28 at firstname.lastname@example.org or print and mail it to Station 28 at:
Portland Fire & Rescue
5540 NE Sandy Blvd.
Portland, Oregon 97213
24 applicants will be chosen and notified by e-mail or by telephone.
Further Information & Questions:
For further information or if you have questions, please contact Station 28 at (503) 823-3700.
August 31, 2010 at 9:15 PM
I would be interested in doing something like this. I just graduated Chemeketa's fire academy this summer and I live in the Portland area and something like this I think would be good to get my foot in the door for possible career opportunities. Let me know if my age is acceptable. Thank you!
Please review our Code of Conduct rules before posting a comment to this site.
Report Abuse (Please include the specific topic and comment for the fastest response/resolution.)