55 SW Ash Street, Portland, OR 97204
CITY OF PORTLAND
invites applications for the position of:
FireFighter EMT-B / FireFighter Paramedic
SALARY: $21.37 - $29.88 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 11/07/16
CLOSING DATE: 11/18/16 04:30 PM
PLEASE NOTE: The application process has changed. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE ANNOUNCEMENT. To apply for this position, you must pay a $25 testing fee or apply for a waiver of the fee. Please see complete application instructions below. Applications submitted without a payment or waiver confirmation number will not be accepted.
Portland Fire & Rescue is seeking firefighters. Newly hired firefighters participate in the Fire Training Program receiving training in firefighting skills by practicing drills and evolutions necessary to become proficient in firefighting tasks; and learn firefighting theory so that it may be applied to firefighting tasks. Firefighters are assigned shift work and varying schedules and must demonstrate excellent internal and external customer service delivery, as well as have the ability to work under high-stress conditions.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
1. Skill in reading, comprehending and applying a variety of fire suppression and prevention materials and information.
2. Skill in performing a variety of mechanical operations.
3. Skill in learning a wide variety of firefighting duties and methods, as well as skill in the use of firefighting equipment within a reasonable work test period.
4. Skill in understanding and following oral and written instructions.
Additionally, applicants must:
1. Be 18 years of age or older at the time of conditional offer of employment.
2. Have a high school diploma, or equivalent at the time of conditional offer of employment.
3. Possess a valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record by time of conditional offer of employment. http://www.portlandoregon.gov/citycode/?c=27935&a=12184.
4. Successfully pass a physical agility test and oral interview process.
5. Successfully pass an in-depth background investigation.
6. Successfully complete a medical and physical examination prior to appointment.
7. Possess an EMT-B, or higher certification by the time of conditional offer of employment Certifications must be from the State of Oregon or be an equivalent certification from another state or country that will qualify for reciprocity from the State of Oregon. Candidates in possession of a National EMT certification or certification from another state or country should contact the State of Oregon Health Division for instructions on how to receive a State of Oregon certification. Proof of a minimum EMT-B certification will need to be verified at the time of your interview. Out of state or out of country EMT-B certification reciprocity for the State of Oregon must be received by the time of conditional offer of employment. Information on how to receive reciprocity can be found online at: https://public.health.oregon.gov/ProviderPartnerResources/EMSTraumaSystems/EMSTrainingCertification/Pages/recip.aspx.
8. Have no criminal conviction that would prevent certification from the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST). Mandatory convictions for denying or revoking certification of a fire service professional can be found at: http://www.oregon.gov/DPSST/FC/index.shtmlhttp://www.oregon.gov/dpsst/FC/docs/REV-DenialInfoGuide12-15.pdf.
9. Be able to meet the State of Oregon EMS licensure requirements. For requirements go to: https://public.health.oregon.gov/ProviderPartnerResources/EMSTraumaSystems/EMSTrainingCertification/Pages/index.asp
THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
The recruitment process will consist of a pass/fail evaluation of supplemental questions. Those candidates passing the supplemental questions application review will be invited to the multiple-choice written test weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. The written test will consist of numerous questions from the Test Preparation Manual as well as additional questions regarding mechanical aptitude, math, and reading comprehension. To access the test preparation manual please see information under "Application Instructions" below. Only those candidates who successfully pass the written test will be placed on a ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection. The Fire Chief's selection panel will interview, select and hire candidates from this ranked eligible list.
THE WRITTEN TEST
The written test will be held on Wednesday, January 18, 2017, at the Oregon Convention Center located at 777 NE Martin Luther King Blvd., Portland, OR 97232. There will be no alternate test times. All communications regarding this recruitment will be sent via e-mail only. A Test Preparation Manual (TPM) has been prepared for your use in studying for the written test. Please see information under "Application Instructions" to access the Test Preparation Manual.
There is a testing fee of $25. Only applicants who submit an application with a payment or waiver confirmation number, by the application deadline, will be invited to participate in the written test. The testing times will be scheduled based on the first letter of your last name. The test will start promptly as scheduled. You will receive an e-mail letting you know when you are scheduled to take the test. During the testing and hiring process, emails may be routed to your SPAM and/or JUNK mail. We advise that you check all folders.
To qualify for the fee waiver, you must be:
• Receiving unemployment insurance payments, or
• Receiving public assistance (Food Stamps, WIC, SNAP, TANF, or other verifiable public assistance programs)
Supporting documentation (check stub, food stamp card/Oregon Trail Card, etc.) for the waiver is not required at the time of application, or at the written test, but will be required at the interview. Failure to provide supporting documentation, demonstrating qualification for the waiver at the time of the interview, may result in disqualification from further consideration.
If you experience any problems paying the fee, please contact the Portland Fire & Rescue Recruiter, Irene Concepcion-Sestric, at (503) 823-3811, or by email at: Irene.Concepcion-Sestric@portlandoregon.gov.
Candidates on the eligible list who do not have a valid EMT-B or Paramedic certificate, by the time of conditional offer of employment, will not be considered for hire.
You may NOT apply for both the Firefighter Trainee recruitment (2016-00862) and this Firefighter EMT-B / Firefighter Paramedic recruitment (2016-00683). Applying for both recruitments will result in disqualification from both.
You must apply for this Firefighter EMT-B / Firefighter Paramedic recruitment if you have any of the following by November 7, 2016:
• Paramedic certification.
• Any paid non-probationary firefighter experience
• 12 months or more of volunteer firefighter experience and an EMT-B certification.
• An Associate's degree, or higher, in the field of fire science and an EMT-B certification.
Documents may be requested to verify any of the above during the testing and hiring process.
Accessing the Test Preparation Manual
For additional application instructions and to access the test preparation manual go to the Portland Fire & Rescue website at: www.portlandoregon.gov/fire/54157 under "Study Materials" section.
Please remember there is a $25 fee to take the written test which must be paid PRIOR to applying for the test. The $25 testing fee must be paid online. A link to apply will be provided after payment has been submitted. Once you receive your payment confirmation or waiver number, complete the online application. To apply you will be required to enter your payment confirmation or waiver number under the Supplemental Questions tab. Your application will not be accepted without the required confirmation or waiver number.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than 4:30 pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, attach a copy of your DD214 / DD215 and / or Veteran's Administration Letter Stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for.
Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 4:30 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at time of application.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named below No Later Than the Closing Date of This Announcement.
Gail Thompson, Human Resource Business Partner, Bureau of Human Resources
If you have questions regarding the testing process, the hiring process, which position to apply for, or any other questions, please contact Irene Concepcion-Sestric at (503) 823-3811 or by email at Irene.Concepcion-Sestric@portlandoregon.gov
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
1120 SW 5th Ave, 404
Portland, OR 97204
FIREFIGHTER EMT-B / FIREFIGHTER PARAMEDIC