Portland Fire & Rescue’s (PF&R) Winter 2009 Award Ceremony was held Thursday, December 3, 2009 at 7:00 pm at the Training Center on NE 122nd.
PF&R’s Awards Committee previously evaluated nominations for awards submitted from internal employees and external sources and recommended the degree of recognition to Fire Chief John Klum. The Awards Committee is chaired by a battalion chief and composed of not less than four line representatives, the Public Information Officer (PIO), the staff captain from Battalion Headquarters (BHQ), an officer from Logistics, a member of the Prevention Division, and a non-sworn employee.
The committee provides recognition to:
- Persons who have made an outstanding contribution to PF&R and/or the community, or performed any actions which promote the well being or betterment of the fire service in general.
- Persons who have performed unselfish acts, often above and beyond the call of duty or the expected, to help others. This may or may not include possible harm or risk to one’s own well-being.
PF&R awards are not reserved exclusively for firefighters, but may be presented to any deserving individuals.
The following awards and promotions were celebrated:
- Letter of Recognition: Grant Coffey
- Letter of Appreciation: Lieutenant Matthew Silva
- Letter of Appreciation: Firefighter Lisa Knight
- Letter of Commendation: Firefighter Casey Steele
- Fire Chief’s Certificate: Staff of Blue Moon Tavern
- Certificate of Merit: Katelin Olson, Josh Spencer, Cary Kutler
- Medal of Honor: David Haas, Cheryl Robb
- Certificate of Merit: Portland Police Bureau Sergeant Peter Simpson
- Certificate of Merit: Principal Lana Penley and Staff
- Douglas Jones: Assistant Fire Marshal
- Douglas Friant: Senior Inspector
- Richard Stenhouse: Battalion Chief
- Glen Geiger: Inspector
- John Harkness: Inspector
- Jeff Herman: Inspector
- Ron Rouse: Inspector
- Mark Furiya: Harbor Pilot
Photo 1 Photo 2
Photo 3 Photo 4
Photo 5 Photo 6
Photo 1: PF&R's Honor Guard
Photo 2: Fire Chief John Klum shaking newly appointment Assistant Fire Marshal Doug Jones' hand
Photo 3: Fire Chief John Klum awarding Hazardous Materials Coordinator Grant Coffey a Letter of Recognition
Photo 4: Fire Commissioner Randy Leonard and Fire Chief John Klum awarding Katelin Olson a Certificate of Merit
Photo 5: Fire Commissioner Randy Leonard and Fire Chief John Klum awarding David Haas and Chery Robb a Medal of Honor
Photo 6: Fire Commissioner Randy Leonard and Fire Chief John Klum awarding Marysville Elementary School Principal Lana Penley and Staff a Certificate of Merit
December 4, 2009