Winter Holiday Fire Safety
There is no place like home for the holidays. A few simple steps will keep your home safe for your family and guests for this holiday season.
- Never use candles as decorations.
- Keep tree away from heat.
- Never place a tree in front of an exit door or in a pathway leading to an exit.
- Water a cut tree daily.
- Use a “non-tip” style tree stand.
- Use only fire retardant decorations.
- Never leave a lit tree unattended.
- Dispose of your tree properly, soon after the holiday before needles dry out.
- Artificial trees should have a fire retardant label.
Keep the Season Bright...Watch Those Lights!
- Unplug all lighting before retiring for the evening or leaving the house.
- Blow out candles before leaving the room.
- Don't leave candles burning unattended.
- Purchase lights and electric decorations which are listed by an approved testing agency.
- Check all lighting for frayed wires, broken plugs, sockets, etc.
- Never overload outlets. Use no more than three strands of lights on a single extension cord.
- Never use candles on trees, near live or other flammable decorations.
- Never hang lights on a metallic tree.
- Always use appropriate weatherproof lights outdoors.
It’s not about saving lives; it’s about saving your life.
December 21, 2009