AKA Eeeeeevil Brownies
Recipe courtesy of Jen Clodius, Public Information Team Member
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramel squares (Try not to eat 'em while you unwrap them)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups pecan pieces, divided (walnuts work, too)
- 1 12-oz package (2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 (325 for glass dish). Line 13x9 baking dish with foil extending over edges to form handles. Do NOT skip this step, because the caramel will try to meld with the side of the pan. You can peel the foil off of the caramel layer. It’s difficult to peel the pan off.
- Coat foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large microwave-safe bowl, microwave unsweetened chocolate and butter on High for 2 minutes, or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is melted. Stir sugar into chocolate mixture until well blended. Mix in eggs. Stir in flour. Spread half of batter into pan.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until firm to touch.
- Meanwhile, in another microwave-safe bowl, microwave caramels and cream on High for 2 minutes, or until caramels begin to melt. Whisk until smooth. Stir in 1 cup nuts.
- Gently spread caramel mixture over baked brownie in pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Pour remaining batter evenly over caramel mixture, sprinkle with remaining nuts (some caramel may peek through).
- Bake 30 minutes or until firm to touch. Cool in pan. Run knife around edge of pan. Lift from pan using foil as handles. Cut into squares and hide from everyone in the house!
Follow Portland Fire & Rescue on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Flickr
May 19, 2010