- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (4 pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 2 cups less-sodium beef broth
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chopped plum tomato
- 1 ¼ pounds small red potatoes
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper.
- Add roast to pan, browning on all sides (about 8 minutes).
- Remove from pan.
- Add onion to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until browned.
- Return roast to pan.
- Combine broth, ketchup, and Worcestershire; pour over roast.
- Add tomato; bring to a simmer.
- Cover and bake at 300° for 2 ½ hours or until tender.
- Add potatoes and carrots; cover and bake 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 3 ounces beef and about ½ cup vegetables).
290 calories, 8.4g fat, 32.9g protein, 20g carb, 756mg sodium
Portland Fire & Rescue We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
June 16, 2010