Recipe courtesy of Janet Woodside, PF&R's Nurse
Southwestern Layered Bean Dip
- 1 16-ounce can nonfat refried beans, preferably “spicy”
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeño slices, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack, or Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup canned sliced black olives, (optional)
- Combine refried beans, black beans, scallions, salsa, cumin, chili powder and jalapeños in a medium bowl. Transfer to a shallow 2-quart microwave safe dish; sprinkle with cheese.
- Microwave on High until the cheese is melted and the beans are hot, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spread sour cream evenly over the hot bean mixture, then scatter with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and olives (if using).
Check out Portland Fire & Rescue's previous Firehouse Recipes of the Week:
Portland Fire & Rescue We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
September 13, 2010