September 20, 2010 -- On Saturday, September 11, 2009, the Oregon Convention Center hosted the 17th Annual Oregon Small Business Fair. The fair was a free event for current and prospective small business owners. Useful information and counseling relevant to small business topics was provided.
Peter Delval, a Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) Fire Inspector, staffed a booth at the Business Fair. Peter provided fire prevention tips to small business owners and talked about the important factors to consider before selecting a business location. He also handed out the “Portland Fire & Rescue Fire Prevention Tips for Small Businesses” brochure that specifically addressed why PF&R conducts routine fire inspections and items that are commonly examined during those inspections.
ROUTINE INSPECTIONS FOR BUSINESSES
Fire Inspectors inspect commercial buildings every two years to identify any fire code violations and help educate business and property owners about fire safety. These routine inspections have proven to reduce fires and associated loss, including death and injury. As a business owner, you will receive a notice from Portland Fire & Rescue prior to your next inspection, along with a list of commonly found hazards to prepare your business for the inspection. A fee is charged for each inspection to cover a portion of the resources Portland Fire & Rescue expends to enforce the fire code.
ITEMS COMMONLY EXAMINED DURING INSPECTIONS
- Proper addressing of the building
- Maintain clear exits and pathways
- All exits except the main entrance have an “exit” sign
- Doors with self-closing devices are functioning properly
- Maintenance of fire lanes
- Cover plates are on all electrical boxes and switches
- 30” clearance in front of, and clear access to, all electrical panels
- Fire extinguishers are mounted unobstructed and are serviced yearly
- Click here for information from Portland Fire & Rescue on fire safety inspections
- Click here for fire prevention tips for Small Businesses
- If you have further questions about routine fire inspections for businesses and fire prevention tips, visit http://www.portlandonline.com/fire/index.cfm?c=26205 or call (503) 823-3700.
- If you in the early stages of hunting for a new location for a small business, visit the City of Portland Bureau of Development Services (BDS) website at http://www.portlandonline.com/bds or contact the BDS Small Business Assistance Team at (503) 823-7542.
Portland Fire & Rescue We Respond: Always Ready, Always There