- 1 Cup all-purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Egg (Beaten)
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil (Or meat drippings)
- Mix first four dry ingredients then stir in liquids and egg.
- Beat until the batter is smooth. Batter should be about the consistency of thin honey. If necessary, add milk or water in small amounts to thin.
- Griddle should be very hot. Test with a drop or two of water on the greased surface. The water should dance around while taking about one or two seconds to evaporate.
- Pour or ladle the batter on the hot griddle surface. When bubbles begin to quit rising (about 45 seconds) flip the flap-jack over and cook about another 30 seconds.
- Lightly grease griddle between each batch if necessary.
Check out Portland Fire & Rescue's previous Firehouse Recipes of the Week:
Portland Fire & Rescue We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
September 29, 2010