Bow-Tie Pasta with Italian Chicken Sausage
Courtesy of Station 1 Firefighter Rich
- 1 pound Italian chicken sausage
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 8 ounces bow-tie shaped pasta
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 red peppers
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1 tblsp white vinegar
- salt, black pepper, and red chili flakes to taste
- Brown Italian chicken sausage in a large heavy skillet, breaking sausage up with spatula.
- Remove browned Italian sausage to paper towels to drain.
- Drain off all but about a tablespoon of the sausage drippings; sauté onions and red peppers until soft; add minced garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Return Italian sausage to skillet salt, pepper, and red chili flakes. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook bow-tie pasta according to package instructions until done; drain and place on serving platter.
- Add basil and spinach to Italian sausage skillet; cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add Italian sausage skillet mix with bow-tie pasta and spoon olive oil and vinegar over mix.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Toss lightly and serve.
Check out Portland Fire & Rescue's previous Firehouse Recipes of the Week:
Portland Fire & Rescue
We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
October 7, 2010