Photo courtesy of the City of Portland Water Bureau
Did you know…
- The City of Portland Water Bureau currently maintains about 16,000 fire hydrants.
- Portland has fire hydrants are located about every 1,000 feet, which is the standard spacing of fire hydrants in residential areas.
- In downtown Portland, there are two hydrants for each intersection.
- Hydrants are color-coded to give important information to firefighters. Freelance hydrant painting violates Portland's City Code.
- You can locate the nearest hydrant to your property on PortlandMaps. Type in your service address and once you have selected a property, open the Utilities tab, then click Water Assets.
- Do you know how fire hydrants are connected to the water distribution system here in the City of Portland? Click here to check out the Water Bureau’s Blog titled, “Anatomy of a Fire Hydrant” and learn more about these strategically placed, high-capacity hydrants!
- Read about Portland's hydrant history by visiting http://www.firehydrant.org/pictures/pdx_01.html.
Questions & Contact Numbers…
Contact the City of Portland's Water Bureau with questions on the below topics!
- Broken Hydrant/Main -- (503) 823-4874
- Locate a Hydrant -- (503) 823-1524
- Hydrant permits -- (503) 823-1798
Portland Fire & Rescue
We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
October 11, 2010